Which is faster, using a single file or using multiple files to store the Windows VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by costabas, Nov 4, 2013.

1. costabas

costabas Member

I currently use a single file to store the Windows VM, but I can't help wondering whether the disk access in the VM is faster when using multiple 2GB files? Or perhaps it doesn't make any difference.

Using multiple files might be advantageous when doing backups because you don't need to back-up an entire 250GB file, for instance.

Thanks

2. strells

strells Product Expert

I don't even know how you would do this. And why do you think it would be faster other than for backups?

Steve

3. costabas

costabas Member

I am not too sure I fully understand your message.

I don't know that it would be faster - I am asking myself this question, whether it makes any difference at all, and I hoped that I can get an answer from the support folks.

When I created the VM (2.5 years ago) I was presented with the option to use a single file (it has the extension hdd) and allocate a certain amount of space for the VM, let's say 250GB. The other option was to use multiple 2GB files (it means that if you have a 4GB file in the VM it will be stored over two files). At the time I chose one file.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013