Ctrl - Left Arrow Problem - Switching between VM and Mac OSX After Mavericks Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Scott S., Oct 24, 2013.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. Bit poster

So I write a lot. My favorite keyboard command is Ctrl+Right Arrow, or Ctrl+Left Arrow. In Windows, this usually makes the cursor go from one word to the beginning of the next word. It worked fine in Mtn Lion. Now it switches between VM and Mac OSX. How can I return to the native windows keystroke command.

Thanks

2. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

I am also having this problem. It's a real pain when editing code, which is the main thing I do in my VM.

Did you find an answer? This also worked fine for me in Mountain Lion. I've even set system shortcuts to always go to the VM, the setting is ignored when running Mavericks and PD8.

If I get told I need to upgrade to PD9 to get this functionality back, then that's just wrong.

3. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

So glad I'm not the only one having this issue. It looks like Parallels is ignoring the setting system shorcuts => send all system keys to vm.

4. rcgarcelon

rcgarcelon Bit poster

I am running Mountain-Lion, so this may or may not work for you. But have you looked in System-Preferences->Keyboard, under Mission Control, for the Ctrl+Arrow shortcuts? They may be enabled, and if so try disabling them. I use those keys to Move left/right a (desktop) space. Perhaps the priority of these commands changed on Mavericks, causing them to go to Mac instead of guest VM.

5. CleverCoder

CleverCoder Bit poster

The Mission Control shortcuts were causing this problem for me. Unchecking them fixed the issue. Now the "Control-Left" and "Control-Right" for word selection works for me under Mavericks with a Win8 guest.

6. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Everyone,

Remove the assignment of those two shortcuts in Mac OS X system preferences / keyboard / keyboard shortcuts:

Chose Mission Control on the left side and uncheck assignments on the right side.

This will disable the use the shortcuts for Mission Control. However, since Mission Control only supports gestures, most people with gesture-capable machines won't even need the shortcuts. Also, you could assign other shortcuts to Mission Control if you liked.

Thanks,
    Looran

7. Glen_Parallels

Glen_Parallels Junior Member

Thanks, that worked well. I wish everything was so easy to recover.

Now I've just got to remember it's CTRL right arrow in Windows and OPTION right arrow in Mac! Sometimes it feels like I need two heads. :)

8. KevinS25

KevinS25 Bit poster

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it's the only one I found that's similar to my problem.
    I have the opposite problem to the original poster, I want the Control Left Arrow and Control Right arrow to swap between Mac and Window VM. But although Ctrl R does swap from Mac to VM, unfortunately Ctrl L does not swap back. Sometimes it will after the Mac has only just booted up, but if I switch back to VM by keystroke, it never will switch back to Mac by keystroke.
    I've tried playing with Mission control settings, but all that results in is the Ctrl R not working.
    I have a similar setup at my workplace which works fine, and comparing setups shows nothing different.
    Anybody any ideas??

9. KevinS25

KevinS25 Bit poster

Found the answer to my problem.
    In Parallels Desktop Preferences: macOS System Shortcuts....
    Where it says "Send macOS sytem shortcuts:" I had it on Always, changing this to Auto now lets me use the Ctrl Left Arrow and Ctrl Right Arrow key strokes lets me swap between the Mac and PC VM!

Maria@Parallels likes this.