Parallels 9 loud audio pops

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by strells, Oct 1, 2013.

1. MikeR.

MikeR. Junior Member

Well .... I didn't need the full hour. The first key didn't fix it, and the second key (assuming I read the post correctly, and its a 32bit dword, and set to "2" Hex) made it much, much worse.

2. parallelworld

parallelworld Bit poster

Speakers Pop in Parallels 9

Quick and easy fix. Go to Control Panel then Sound then click Sounds tab and change Sound Scheme to none. Audio will still work this only disables standard Microsoft sounds.

3. MikeR.

MikeR. Junior Member

The problem for me is that the first sound that the VM tries to make (for example an incoming email notification) still results in the popping / stuttering sound. I've reinstalled the tools (after a full uninstall) and even tried building a new second "clean" VM nothing seems to help the popping.

4. parallelworld

parallelworld Bit poster

MikeR
    I have also reinstalled the tools with absolutely no positive results. I never use the notification sounds, so I didn't think of that. Maybe you could try to set each sound that you don't need to "None" (such as Windows Start) one by one and see if that works. However, setting them all to "None" works about 99% of the time for me. It is now rare that I have any popping in Parallels 9. This is sufficient for me until I can find a "real" fix. If anyone does find an official fix for this I would like to know also.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. tgilles

tgilles Bit poster

I have this issue as well, in Parallels 7 and 8, you could remove the specific Parallels sound driver and let it auto detect and it would detect it as a generic RealTek sound card and problem would be solved. Ironic that a generic sound driver worked better than Parallels specific driver. This is very specific to the Parallels Sound Driver and has been around since I can remember..

I highly doubt they are going to fix it.. and now, removing driver doesn't help because the old generic drivers don't work anymore.. has to be Parallels or nothing. :(

6. Bobjtx1

Bobjtx1 Bit poster

I have had this issue since Parallels 8. for me, the issue happens sporadically on either an XP or Win 7 guest OS, but once it starts the popping will happen several times a minute and it does not go away. The most reliable way I have found to reproduce the issue is to run the older Win XP card games (Solitaire, Spider, Freecell). Typically, within 30 minutes the issue will appear. I have tried all the troubleshooting info Parallels provides and not of it worked for me. The only way I have found to get rid of it is to shutdown the VM, then restart it. I am not sure, but I don't think that "Restart" worked either. So now I just shutdown. Then restart (as two separate actions). So far this seems to get rid of the popping (for a while). Someone else mentioned the suspend / sleep mode causing it. I will have to watch for that as well to see if that is a contributor. Hope someone can find a better solution than having to reboot each time. Very annoying!!!

7. JaredBusch

JaredBusch Bit poster

This started sometime in Parallels 8 for me. Just updated to the April 1, 2014 build. We'll see how it goes.