Installing Boot Camp After Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveG, Jun 29, 2007.

1. SteveG

SteveG Bit poster

I installed parallels 3.0 and activated windows vista with it. Now I would like to install boot camp. Do I have to uninstall parallels to do this and then reinstall it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

If vista is a virtual machine, you have to reinstall vista.

Adding the Boot camp partition once Vista is installed locally, is just a matter of adding the virtual machine correctly.

This shouldn't effect parallels, but it will effect vista.

3. MSPhil

MSPhil Bit poster

I would like to do this as well except using Windows XP home edition, service pack 2 OEM. At the moment I am running PD 3 and would like the option of having both this and Boot Camp available to me (but not using the Boot Camp partition for both). I am new to Parallels and the Windows environment and find the whole Microsoft licensing and activation procedure a nightmare when compare to the Mac's. I wonder if anybody can tell me if I will be able to use the same copy of the Windows software for both Boot Camp and Parallels Desktop? or would I have to pay for a new copy of Windows? I would hope to be able to use the same software, because after all it is the same physical computer that it is going on, however, knowing Microsoft by repute, I don't know if this will be the case. Can anyone help?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  4. SteveG

SteveG Bit poster

I am interpreting what you say to mean that I should uninstall parallels, install bootcamp (try to transfer my windows Vista license) and then reinstall parallels on top of bootcamp. Is that correct?

5. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

You will likely need a different Key to run WinXP with Bootcamp.

Call Microsoft and see if they will give you one -- but best not tell them you will install it twice on the same machine using both keys at once. You may get a clueless support person who does not understand. Best might be to say you've changed some hardware and the old key will no longer work -- or something of the sort. That did happen to me on a PC and they did give me a new code so I could re-install WinXP.

Phil