Windows 2000 problem: 16 colors mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ohsowicked, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ohsowicked

ohsowicked Bit poster

I have Windows 2000 running on parallels, but it is in 16 color mode and there is no higher color mode listed in the settings control panel. I want to be able to get up to 32bit color.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I believe it has to do with the auxillary drivers, but I'm not sure.

2. John Purins

John Purins Member

The Windows 2000 default display setting is 16 colors at a resolution of 640x480 but this can be changed by installing the Parallels Windows display driver. Notice that when you move the cursor, it has been captured by Windows and won't move outside the Windows desktop. To release the cursor from Windows, press the Ctrl and Alt keys simultaneously.

On the Parallels menu bar select Actions and from the drop down menu select Install Parallels Tools. After you click OK on the warning dialog, the Parallels Tools Setup wizard will start. Accept all of the default values in the wizard to install the complete set of tools. Click OK on the screen that talks about unsigned drivers and then click the wizard's Restart button to restart Windows 2000.

The display settings can now be changed to 32-bit color and a higher resolution.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007