Parallels 8 + Win 8.1 VM coherence mode madness using external monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by robbierob, Nov 6, 2013.

1. robbierob

robbierob Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Today I experienced the weirdest thing ever in my time with computers. I took my relatively new macbook air with parallels 8 + Win 8.1 VM - which is working pretty nicely, windows mode and coherence - to my office and connected it to my Samsung 24" external monitor (a standard monitor, I think it's the 2443 model?) so I could use extended desktop. i should say I have two other macs, one running parallels 6 + Win XP and one running parallels 7 + Win 7, and those have always played nicely with external monitors, including the Samsung.

Anyway, I was in coherence mode on my new macbook and NOTHING worked as it should. Windows start menu would kind of smudge / double up images when scrolling across it, I'd click on internet explorer and get, say, the mail program launching, click on word and it would launch photos, I'd click on excel and get a setup wizard for some other program, everything was upside down inside out and nothing could be shut down, almost as if the mouse was clicking on something other that what was appearing on the screen, illusional and completely bizarre!

Anyway, after about an hour of pulling my hair out I worked out that by (accidentally) unplugging my external monitor I was able to cancel out, reboot and everything worked fine again, unless I reconnected the monitor. In the end I worked out through trial and error than the external monitor and coherence mode did not like each other one bit. Normal windows mode worked fine but coherence mode was a complete and utter shambles. It certainly made for entertaining viewing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can offer any advice? I am running os x 10.8.5, parallels build 8.0.18483. I am reluctant to upgrade to v9.0 because of both the price and because of the fear of everything not working as it should. I can comfortably continue with window mode only and avoid coherence, and besides I was told by parallels support that v8 supports win 8.1 so I don't think I should have to upgrade.

2. sjc

sjc Bit poster

Can't offer you any help but I can pretty much match your experience.
    Win 8.1 professional on Parallels Build 8.0.18608 (Revision 898384; July 17, 2013), on 10.9

Running with an external monitor (crappy Hanns-G 25 inch thing)
    Running in a window (which I do the majority of the time) is fine.
    Switch to Coherence and all the windows overlap their contents, some are not even rectangular but the shape of various sub windows below them.
    Most are just black with no frame.

3. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

robbierob, please generate Problem Report from Coherence Mode (press red ||-icon on mac menu then press Alt and choose 'Report a Problem'), send it and post it's ID here.
    sjc, generate Problem Report too.

4. robbierob

robbierob Junior Member

Thanks sergk,
    Problem ID has been sent, ID # 31169830.

5. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013