Help with error message

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tizzy, Jun 28, 2007.

1. tizzy

tizzy Bit poster

Moved from "Website and Forum Discussions"

Could someone please help me. I have exhausted every avenue available.
    When I put my flash disc into my computer. I get an error message.

The device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application.
    Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again.
    Then try to connect the device again.

Even my local computer expert can't work this out.

This only happens when I plug the flash drive into the windows side of parallels. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  2. ariell

ariell Member

You probably updated to mac os 10.4.10 without updating parallels to the most recent 2.5 build.

3. GByrd

GByrd Bit poster

I'm receiving the same message with my flash drive and external hard drive. They both use to work, as recently as yesterday morning.

I did recently download a Parallel upgrade, but didn't install it. I wasn't sure what to do since it looked like a new install.

So you think this will resolve the issue?

4. GByrd

GByrd Bit poster

USB Flash Drive Issue

It didn't work!:(
    Now what???

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Try upgrading to Version 3.0, Build 4128. You can use a 15-day temporary license key, and if you don't like it, or it doesn't work, you can retrograde back to 2.5. You will need to carefully backup your virtual machines as once they've been brought into version 3.0 they are no longer compatible with 2.5.

6. GByrd

GByrd Bit poster

I don't quite understand when you say backup my virtual machine. Are you saying back up my files or my Windows XP program?

How do I know what version of Parallels I'm running?

7. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Find your Winxp.hdd file in the user/library/parallel directory and save it somewhere -- not sure where, since you can't use an external usb drive. This is a big file, the size of your virtual drive. If your Mac HD is big enough, I suppose you could just copy it (don't move it) there.

Good idea to save the associated .pvs file, too.

Phil

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven