Cannot Connect Unless On The Same Wifi Network

Discussion in 'Accessing your Mac' started by Jay Buchanan, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Jay Buchanan

Jay Buchanan Bit poster

I am experiencing a problem on two different Mac's where I cannot access them using Parallels Access on my iPad Mini on 3G.

If I iPad Mini is on the same wifi network as the iMac or MacBook Pro I can connect with no problem. If my iPad Mini is on a different wifi network than the iMac or MacBook Pro I cannot connect. If my iPad Mini is on 3G network than I cannot connect to the iMac or MacBook Pro.

This is very frustrating as the only way I can use Parallels Access is if I am on the same wifi network. This defeats the entire purpose of having this $$$ app/program. I have also searched for a customer support number to call and seek a solution to this problem but cannot find one. I can say I am more than frustrated/upset at this point.

Has anyone else had these issues and found a solution? Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro
    OS X 10.9 GM
    Parallels Access 1.0.3

iMac
    OS X 10.9 GM
    Parallels Access 1.0.3

iPad Mini
    Parallels Access App 1.0.1

2. Jay Buchanan

Jay Buchanan Bit poster

Does anyone have any recommendations?

3. Jay Buchanan

Jay Buchanan Bit poster

Does anyone know a phone number for customer support?

4. Jay Buchanan

Jay Buchanan Bit poster

This is the answer I received from Parallels Access support team....

Hi Jay,

Let's see how it goes once both Parallels Access and Parallels Access Agent are live.

You should receive in-product notifications when it's released.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Regards,

--
    Andrew Golokha
    Social Media Manager
    ||Parallels

All I can say is I will be going away from Parallels Access and going to LogMeIn. This is really too bad as I prefer the UI of Parallels Access, but it does NO good if you cannot connect!

5. LenardZ

LenardZ Bit poster

I am wondering if you can confirm the issue you are having? I am having trouble finding an answer to my question so I will start here.

I have been using Parallels for a while, and now have started using Parallels Access. Love the functionality of this app, but I can't seem to use it if I am away from my home office. Is this the same challenge that you are having? The reason I wanted to use the app was to be able to access and work on files in iBooks Author on my iPad while enjoying a coffee at my local Starbucks. I don't always have my MacBook with me and this was a way for me to be very mobile.

Thanks.

6. crctech

crctech Junior Member

Hi Jay; I resolved the issue of not being able to connect with Parallels Access when i was away by setting up ports in my Router as suggested by Parallels. I had an iPad2 working and now have an iPad Air also working remotely away from Office. I have an Apple Airport Extreme (Timecapsule) router at the office, but you should be able to setup any router to direct TCP and UDP ports to your Office computer. I also setup my Router to assign or reserve a specific IP address for my office computer, this may not be necessary. In summary, the Apple Airport router has the following Network settings:
    DHCP Reservations: the office computer has an IP address assigned to its WiFi Mac Address
    Port Settings: The following ports are directed to the IP Address of the office computer;
    Public and Private UDP Ports: 19302, 19294, 10295
    Public and Private TCP Ports: 443, 19294, 19295

The above ports are given by Parallels support, you can get to that message from your iPad after connection failure if you press more info, or something like that, sorry i don't have the link, but the above are the settings, and i am not having any more problems using Parallels Access remotely outside my office network.

7. crctech

crctech Junior Member

3G may be too slow for a remote connection, Sprint 3G has worked for me only intermittently, however Sprint LTE works fine.

8. Dannyboyse5

Dannyboyse5 Bit poster

Hi LeanardZ I am having the same problem I cannot access my Mac Book Pro unless I am on the same Wifi network, its very disappointing !!!

I have an electrcial contracting company and it ould be great if I could use my mac whilst in the site office its a bit worthless if access is restricted to the same wifi network.