Internet connection no longer works after installing Quicken 2007

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by janiner, Feb 2, 2007.

1. janiner

janiner Member

I'm about to run out the door but wanted to get this out there since it's Friday and I was hoping to work on this over the weekend.

I have been using Quickbooks 2006 for a while now. I just installed Quicken 2007 (for my personal data) and now the internet doesn't work at all. Not even from IE outside of Quicken. Yikes!

Any ideas what might be wrong? I have Build 1970 from November 1st, 2006 - I will check when I get back tonight to be sure that's the latest release, but I thought I was up to date.

thanks,

janine

2. janiner

janiner Member

Well, this is peculiar. I went into Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections, as suggested in another post (this is on XP in the VM) and saw no network connection icon there. Checked Parallels' network settings, they appeared to be fine. Rebooted the VM, no improvement. So I shut down the VM and edited it's configuration. Everything looked fine so I started it back up with no changes (did not even click Save) and now it works.

I have no clue what happened, but maybe this will be helpful to someone else.

3. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Quicken 2007 won't update financial info

I just switched from a PC to an iMac. I still use a PC at work, so I installed Parallels, Windows XP SR2, MS Office, and Quicken. I backed up my Quicken files from my old PC and then used the "Restore" function to copy them into Quicken in Parallels. The information in Parallels/Quicken looks identical to that on the original PC including the IDs and passwords. The catch is, I am unable to update the information [or even register my new version of Quicken] because Quicken says it can't successfully contact either its website or my financial institutions. I am able to use IE and view web pages in Parallels- including to download and install MS updates- and can still update my Quicken financial files on my old PC. I have set my security levels and popup blocker and have enabled FTP, HTTP, etc, as suggested by the troubleshooter, but I can't get Quicken to successfully update or register. The problem may be in the network- I connect via an Airport Extreme through a DSL modem/router. But I have tried the Bridged Ethernet [both Default and Wireless] and Shared Networking settings in the Network Adapter Options to no avail. I notice a very short-lived icon in the Windows taskbar that shows up when I try to change the network option and says something like "a cable is not connected," even when I try the wireless setting. Like I said, however, I am able to use IE in Parallels/Windows and my iMac is connecting with the Internet just fine in every way. I just upgraded to Parallels v3, and to Quicken 2007 from Quicken 2006 and the problem is still there. Any suggestions?

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I am running Quicken 2006 with V3 and the internet connection works fine. (I am holding out for Quicken 2008)

In Version 2006, There is a setting in Quicken under Edit/Preferences/Internet Connection Setup.
    Have you looked at this setting? I assume there is a similar setting in 2007.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It may be that your system is connecting fine but they are trying to connect back to your system and their system can't find yours. Check the documentation from Quicken and see what they might offer regarding firewalls. If this is true you may have to use bridged networking, and even that only gets you to your router, but it's one less hop to worry about.

If you're using shared networking and have made a connection it will show up in an OS X terminal window by running netstat -a. In the mess that is printed out you may see a connected is made to the Quicken network.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  6. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

I've played with both of the above suggestions quite a bit, but still no update or registration capabilities. I am running on a bridged connection because Airport Extreme pretty much demands it. One key piece of information that I can't change seems to be that I keep getting the "a network cable is unplugged" message every time I change the network adapter 1 setting from default to ethernet to airport/wireless to shared to host-only networking. Another connection diagnostic keeps telling me to that my HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP need to be set to the proper port settings, but when I check them they appear to be correct. I'm really at a loss here!

7. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Purplish- I connect to the internet through a LAN. Could that be the issue?

8. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Connecting through the LAN should be fine. One question is, do you have a firewall running? (besides the HW firewall in your airport extreme). If you have Norton Internet Security or Windows Firewall enabled, I would try to disable the firewall temporarily and see if it works then.

That is the only way I can explain the fact that IE is working but Quicken is not. If the (virtual) network cable is unplugged, IE will not work either.

If you are using an Airport Extreme in wireless mode, you need to be using either bridged networking or shared networking. The ethernet adapter and the host only adapter will definitely not work. (Unless you attach to the airport extreme with an ethernet cable). On my computer, the bridged networking is through the en1: network/wireless adapter.

9. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

I am not using any outside FW program, just the Windows FW. It is enabled, but I have added everything related to Quicken under the Exceptions tab and checked them. I also deleted and re-added them all as suggested in the Quicken failure-to-register error message. I have also disabled the FW a couple of times and tried to register and/or update, again with no results.

I am currently running in Parallels via bridged networking. The Airport Extreme is connected to the router via an ethernet cable from an ethernet port on the router to the WAN port on the Airport Extreme base station. Originally, I was running my iMac in wireless mode and tried setting the network adapter 1 on default. I then tried en1: network/wireless adapter as well as shared networking and guest-host. No connection changed the situation with Quicken and all changes elicited the "unhooked cable" message. On a lark, I even tried the en0: ethernet networking connection but was given an instant error message that it wasn't possible [as I expected]. I have since disconnected my PC from my DSL router and, on the recommendation of Apple Care, connected the iMac directly to the base station via an ethernet cable connection [ethernet port to ethernet port]. I have again tried the en0: ethernet networking hook-up and am no longer given an instant error message, but the short-lived icon in the task bar still appears to claim that a network cable is missing.

Are you using a firewall other than Windows?

10. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

I now have a couple of more clues. I looked at the connlog.txt scripts saved by Quicken each time connection is attempted, and they always indicate the problem is with the security certificates of either of the following URLs: https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw1600/fib.dll or https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw1500/fib.dll. I have also noticed that the security certificates for my financial institutions and virtually any HTTPS site I visit within Parallels/Windows is always claimed to be either out of date or incorrect. If I visit the same sites in the Mac environment of the same computer, or on other PCs or Macs, the same certificate warnings DO NOT come up. Would it be wise or effective to download and accept the certificates from each of these websites, or could someone recommend a broader solution.

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

What is the IE security level in your Internet options set to?

12. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Medium-high.

13. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Solution

In case anyone else eventually runs into the same problem, in my case the issue turned out to be in my anti-virus program [a Quicken support rep helped isolate the problem]. When I disable it temporarily all connections to Quicken, including product registration and running updates, took place without a hitch. I haven't tried any non-Quicken-related HTTPS sites yet, but expect the same results. Also, all default firewall and internet security settings were fine. Turning off my virus protection is nothing I want as a permanent solution, but at least it pointed me in the right direction. I'll now see what the anti-virus seller's fora and/or support have to offer for a more acceptible remedy.

Thanks to those who tried to help with this problem.

14. David5000

David5000 Pro

15. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Kaspersky.