Windows 7 Password Reset

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ampm11, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rxcats

rxcats Bit poster

anamareddyj's terminal command instructions worked perfectly for me. I cut/paste his info and was able to get into windows 7 in just a couple of minutes.

2. lonergan

lonergan Bit poster

If you've changed the password of built-in administrator account and forgot it, the safe mode will doesn't work. Another way is to use a bootable password cracking software such as PCUnlocker, which comes as an ISO image file. Just mount the ISO image to the CD/DVD drive of your Parallels virtual machine and it enables you to reset lost Windows 7 password easily.

3. HeathW

HeathW Bit poster

Windows 7 password reset using Paralllels and Mac Terminal

Thanks you very much, anamareddyj! Your instructions saved me time and money. Microsoft wanted to charge me $99 to $149 to reset my password, since my Windows 7 warranty had expired.

4. MrFitz

MrFitz Bit poster

Thank you!

Outstanding post: correct and succinct.

5. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Bit poster

Thank you. It worked beautifully.

6. tomcat*

tomcat* Bit poster

+

Last year I lost my password with Windows 7, followed anamareddyj's solution and got access again, and have now been caught again. However, unlike the previous success, I've struck a blank, with the following coming up after following anamareddyj's advice:
    Virtual machine 'Windows 7' is encrypted - password required to continue operation
    Please enter password:

Can anyone come up with a workable way around this please

7. Nanowagner

Nanowagner Bit poster

The above may work BUT ONLY IF PARALLELS IS RUNNING. My Parallels is set up so when I activate the program, my desktop switches from Mac to Windows and I CANNOT ACCESS THE Terminal window! Of course, I cannot log into Windows and the only way to get my Mac back is to manually shut down my computer and reboot.

HELP!!!

8. bongving

bongving Bit poster

Last week, I forgot my Win 7 administrator password and locked out of computer. My boyfriend helped me regain access to my locked computer by following this video guide step by step: How to Bypass Windows 7 Password?

9. mongo2013

mongo2013 Bit poster

Hi, darn, I'm having difficulties, receiving the following message (running Parallels 9 / Win 7 -- upgraded from XP -- on Mac OS 10.7.5).
    I appreciate any help!

Unable to open new session in this virtual machine. Make sure the latest version of Parallels Tools is installed in this virtual machine and it has finished booting.
    Failed to configure the virtual machine.

Here's how I entered all the info into terminal:

prlctl list --all
    UUID STATUS IP_ADDR NAME
    {087de7a7-408f-4e33-bf51-63e3f4a45d0e} stopped - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Master 4
    {319226ec-1597-49ff-84d4-bff42632367e} running - windows7-xp
    Mongos-477:~ newmacuser$ prlctl set 319226ec-1597-49ff-84d4-bff42632367e --userpasswd Mongo:1234

Unable to open new session in this virtual machine. Make sure the latest version of Parallels Tools is installed in this virtual machine and it has finished booting.
    Failed to configure the virtual machine.

10. heffnerc

heffnerc Bit poster

I had also tried some of the above process, but they were not actually working any more. Kindly lead us some of the better solutions.
    Thank You

11. Muhammas SohaibR

Muhammas SohaibR Junior Member

Thanks MollyW your given link is working. I was searching this from last few days finaly you helped me.
    Thanks Again for your precious post :)

12. MelD'st

MelD'st Bit poster

--------------------------
    Thanks for this helpful paste, anamareddyj, I typed in the command prlctl set ...UUID... --userpassword uname:NewPassword, and I get "Unrecognised option: --userpassword.
    Could you help with this, please? I must say when I start Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro through Parallell, it say password has expired (the one that I can't remember) change password! The other point is what I assume to be my Windows UserName is what appear in Windows desktop, which is the same username that precede the $ in the command prompt in Terminal. Is this the username? Or have I got it wrong? To repeat the original question: Why do I get 'Unrecognised oprtion: --userpassword' as described above?

13. Stivoo

Stivoo Bit poster

Thanks for sharing this technique. It helped me to reset my password.

14. jackheryiou

jackheryiou Bit poster

reset windows 7 password

I have searched similar case like you, you can follow this tutorial http://tinyurl.com/9nn2dpa

15. ClarkeW

ClarkeW Bit poster

Its 2014 and this method worked for me today! Thanks anamareddyj!!

16. BenjaminF

BenjaminF Bit poster

How did you manage to type in any section of the terminal other than the flashing cursor at the bottom where you enter commands? I couldn't get back up to the "prlctl set" to enter the command after it.

Thanks,

B

17. BenjaminF

BenjaminF Bit poster

Figured it out. Nevermind. D'oh.

18. Andrea_Marcante

Andrea_Marcante Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem.
    I've tried to follow the suggested commands, but the answer is
    "Unable to open new session in this virtual machine. Make sure the latest version of Parallels Tools is installed in this virtual machine and it has finished booting
    Failed to configure the virtual machine."
    Any other suggestion ?

Thanks

19. EllenZ1

EllenZ1 Bit poster

I am having the same problem as Andrea_Marcante. Article 114193 (the advice given by Annamareddyj) is written for Parallels 7,8, and 9 but doesn't seem to work for Parallels 10. Also I have a MacBook Pro that doesn't have a DVD drive so I need a solution that is not dependent on a DVD.
    Suggestions?

20. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    Please follow the instructions given at http://kb.parallels.com/114193 to reset Windows Virtual Machine Login Password on Parallels Desktop.
    Note : This article applies for Parallels Desktop 10.