No Coherence Support for 30" Cinema?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jcool, Jul 2, 2007.

1. jcool

jcool Bit poster

I saw there was another thread on this from a few months ago, but no solution. I have a user with a 30" Cinema connected to a Mac Pro running dual monitor mode. Parallels refuses to run in Coherence mode, saying the Guest OS (XP) has an unsupported resolution.

Has this been resolved? The system is running Parallels 3.0.

2. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

have you tried increasing the amount of video memory allocated to the virtual machine?

In your virtual machine settings (the machine must be stopped, choose Edit->Virtual Machine), choose Memory. Then move the slider for Video Memory all the way to the right, to 64mb.

When you restart the virtual machine, this should provide it with enough video memory to run Coherence on a 30" cinema - works for me on an MBP with a 23" cinema, coherence handles both screens.

3. mcowger

mcowger Member

Indeed - try this. I am successfully running coherence under PD3.0 with a resolution of 3600x1200 (3x 24" screens)

4. jcool

jcool Bit poster

The other thread said this doesn't work, but let me give it a shot.

5. jcool

jcool Bit poster

Well, maxing out the video ram did help, it now technically works.

Unfortunately, there apparently still isn't enough VRAM (64MB is the max parallels would assign), so it can't put the screen rez high enough on the VM to match the Cinema display. Very ugly. Is there some way to force it to go up to a higher amount of VRAM?