[Windows 8] Graphical Performance suffers when Automatic Graphics Switching occurs

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by koppah, Nov 13, 2012.

1. koppah

koppah Bit poster

[Windows 8] Graphical Performance is very bad when using Intel adapter in rMBP

Hi,

I seem to have run into an issue in Parallels where the graphics driver appears to go crazy when my Retina Macbook Pro uses the Intel card over the Nvidia card, when Parallels is set to 'Longer Battery Life'. Running something such as Xbox Music causes the Desktop Window Manager to run at 25% CPU constantly, and the Xbox Music app is very slow.

When I run Parallels with the 'Better Performance' option, everything runs fine. Obviously, I'd prefer to have longer battery life on my laptop, so it'd be great to figure out what's going wrong here...?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. koppah

koppah Bit poster

Problem report: 19710916

3. koppah

koppah Bit poster

I'm now seeing this happen intermittently with the latest update. I have 'Best Performance' selected, and Parallels switches my Macbook over to the Nvidia card. However, every couple of boot-ups, I notice horrible performance in Office 2013 and I can see that the Desktop Window Manager is running at high CPU. When I reboot and try again, typing is no longer slow, and I can see that the DWM no longer chews up CPU. I strongly suspect that there is a bug in the Parallels vGPU driver, but I obviously don't know how to troubleshoot it.

4. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Koppah,

Thanks for the post and for the Tweet. We are talking to the devs to see if this is a known issue/bug and will respond back in here once we know more. Also, in the email you are sending, please provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks,
    Andrew

5. koppah

koppah Bit poster

I'm sending an email...? To who...?

6. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

sent in the PM

7. koppah

koppah Bit poster

I'm still seeing this behaviour on Version 9. Has it been fixed at all??