Unable to suspend in PD3?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by forgie, Jun 10, 2007.

1. forgie

forgie Member

Whenever I try to suspend my XPsp2 VM, I get this error:

"Parallels Desktop cannot suspend the virtual machine because graphics application that uses OpenGL or DirectX is running. Please close the application before suspending."

This happens irrelevant of what applications are running. I just tried a fresh restart, then tried to suspend straight away. Sure enough, this warning comes up. I just shut down, turned off DirectX, then started up my VM, and even though I haven't loaded any apps yet, I STILL get the error message.

Can anyone else suspend their VMs in build 4124? Has anyone else seen this message?

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I have not seen this in my XP VM.

Can you post the programs that automatically start on your VM? Use msconfig.msc to get a full listing...

Can you standby while the VM is running in VGA graphics safe mode?

3. forgie

forgie Member

According to msconfig (on the Startup tab), there are 3 startup items:
    ashDisp
    ParallelsToolsCenter
    sharedintapp

ashDisp belongs to Avast!, and the other two are Parallels helpers. I tried closing ashDisp via Task Manager, but still I get the error message.

How do you run in VGA graphics safe mode?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Press F8 right after the BIOS and choose VGA mode.

If you are on a Macbook (or Macbook Pro) change your settings so that the F keys control software. (In the keyboard prefrences) before trying this.

5. forgie

forgie Member

I was able to suspend fine in VGA mode.

6. forgie

forgie Member

7. aguydude

aguydude Member

I'm able to suspend fine. However, once I run a program which uses DirectX, I cannot suspend, even after the program closes.

8. forgie

forgie Member

9. PatC

PatC Bit poster

Windows 2000 Advanced Server Suspend Issues

Didn't see anyone with this specific problem; but I'm running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and even with no applications running, I get the "Parallels Desktop cannot suspend the virtual machine because graphics application that uses OpenGL or DirectX is running. Please close application before suspending."

I've tried disabling Direct X support in the virtual machine, but it has no effect -- still get the same error message.

Here's what shows running in the process manager:

[​IMG]

If I hit F8 and enable VGA mode, Suspend works, but then it's resolution is to small to effectively run the application I want to (DHL's EasyShip).

Any ideas? Not being able to suspend the VM makes it a lot harder to use parallels day-to-day.

10. luckylindy

luckylindy Bit poster

I second your problem, but with XP, not 2000. I sent this in to Parallels before WWDC and hope to get a reply soon. I will post here when I do. Anyone else, please do likewise.

11. forgie

forgie Member

I sent a tech support job a week ago today. Still no word. I have technical knowledge, development experience and have just finished my semester exams, so if the Parallels crew wants to work out how to fix this bug, getting back to me would be a good start!

12. forgie

forgie Member

That's two weeks and no word from tech support.

Way to go.... I'm offering debugging time for free, and they don't even contact me. :confused:

13. luckylindy

luckylindy Bit poster

is it possible to call them? I am REALLY frustrated to have to keep rebooting every time I want to use this machine.

14. forgie

forgie Member

Well I'm in Australia, so the hours don't really match up, and the phone call won't be cheap!

15. ridge

ridge Bit poster

Same problem

I have the same problem - unable to suspend in PD3. Worked fine in previous version. Keeps telling me that something is using either OpenGL or DirectX. No evidence of either in Task Manager and I get it as soon as Windows boots with nothing running and everything bar Parallels disabled in the task bar. I am also experiencing resolution issues when swapping between windowed and full screen version that I didn't have before.

16. forgie

forgie Member

And there's another one:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread14000.html

Obviously this is a relatively common problem. Still no word. No email from SWSoft.... the sad thing is I know they read these forums, but for whatever reason they've decided to not respond to my support email or comment in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  17. luckylindy

luckylindy Bit poster

I am now fixed, but not exactly sure why. I had changed the name of a number of virtual machines so that they would match up with the .hdd for each. I then threw the .pvs files away and made new ones based on the renamed .HDDs. (File>New...Custom>XP>Use an existing hard disk image>select the HDD) After I created it and started it up, I was able to suspend. Crazy, huh?

18. ridge

ridge Bit poster

Tried recreating the pvs file (didn't rename hardrive). Didn't work; pity.
    On a positive note - Resolution problem fixed. Support got back to me with a setting in Preferences. (Preferences, Appearance menu and uncheck "Change MacOSX resolution" - for anybody with a similar issue)

19. ridge

ridge Bit poster

Success

:) I have finally sorted this through a process of elimination through the startup items (and many reboots) using MSCONFIG. The offender turned out to be a thing called drawsrv that runs on startup as part of the Teamboard electronic whiteboard package I have installed. Disabling drawsrv once it is started has no effect on reenabling SUSPEND in Parallels, so it must kick off something else that is actually causing the problem. I haven't had any luck identifying what this might be as (as far as I can tell) manually starting drawsrv (after I removed it from startup) only seems to fire a drawsrv process and nothing else.

20. operator911

operator911 Junior Member

Wow, fortunate for you to have found that was the item. Unfortunately I'm not running that app right now so there must be other culprits for this as well.
    Really hope that the team responds to this thread soon because this is a very big problem for me that substantially reduces the usability of parallels at all - I HATE rebooting into windows whenever I want it.