Use of second display device under Windows.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tonydenson, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

I can't seem to get my external display working under Parallels. I right click on the XP desktop and select Display Properties/Settings, but only see one display. Anyone here got this working ?

Tony

2. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

It won't work that way - that's what Coherence mode was designed for.

in the Memory settings of your VM, pump your video memory up to at least 32MB, preferably to the max 64MB, and then start your virtual machine. When you switch to Coherence, your XP windows should be accessible on both monitors as you would expect.

This effect is only possible with coherence though - you can't have a 2nd monitor that only windows sees.

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If I recall correctly the video memory that Parallels 'has' is really your RAM, and thus it doesn't take all of a 64 MB graphics card (as an example) if you turn it up all the way.

Correct me if I am wrong.

4. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

THanks, I sort of got it working. In order to go into Coherence mode I had to wind down both display resolutions to 1024x768 and also increase VM video memory to 64MB. However, even then my Windows application seemed to think there was only one display.

5. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

Still struggling here. I cannot get any Windows applications (including Powerpoint) to see a second display even in Coherence mode.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It's because it is not a second display as far as windows is concerned, it acts as a single huge display.