Programmes Freezing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by LeeMCD, Dec 13, 2013.

1. LeeMCD

LeeMCD Bit poster

I am having an issue when trying to run most programmes in Windows on my mac via parallels. Whether it is Corel Draw, Sage accounts software or just Internet Explorer, every programmes seems to be unresponsive and will eventually just freeze or crash.

I have tried increasing the memory space allocated to parallels, this has made no difference. I have tried reinstalling parallels tools, unfortunately this process also freezes.

I am not aware of anything that has been done that would have changed any settings and am at a loss as to why this is happening. Parallels usually operates without any issues.

I currently have Parallels 9 build 24172, there are currently no updates available to the version I have.

Any Ideas?

2. johnmharte

johnmharte Junior Member

On same exact build, seeing same issue

One of my employees is just now opening a ticket with parallels for the same issue.
    All applications freeze in the VM, it's even taking out the OSX host host, hanging it to a degree.

We are watching the OSX console log, and it just stops responding at the same time all applications freeze.
    We've had to move him off parallels for now and he's just running native OSX apps only without issue.

What is odd, is we are on osx 10.9 (both of us), we are both on 9 build 24172. We have the exact same MB Pro's (MacBookPro10,1) with 16GB of RAM, and 750GB SSD. So... we've been running fine until this week with his problems cropping up yesterday to a serious level.

3. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

I am not sure whether my problem is the same. But on Build 9.0.24172 I experience occasionally complete freezing of the entire system. Meaning, screen frozen, completely unresponsive. Cannot connect to the mac book pro anymore. I had the problem with a macbook pro retina from May this year. Because of the problem bought a brand new one just this week ago, same problem. I did a fresh install of the system (no migration).

4. johnmharte

johnmharte Junior Member

We are still working with support and will update this thread when a fix is found.
    But we completely uninstalled parallels and ran that Mac for a day and a half without issue.
    We are pretty sure it's parallels. We never say never but without parallels that 10.9 machine runs fine.

Good to hear someone else started with a new install and had the same issue. We thought about that but we're trying to not completely rebuild. Are you using osx disk encryption, FileVault?
    We have that enabled on these workstations/laptops.

5. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

I also have contacted support and pressed for a solution. I do not use disk encryption or file vault. The machine I had the problem on was fresh from the box with a clean install of Parallels and every other app I use (mainly WebStorm and Chrome and FF, nothing much else). Only the VM (Windows 7 64 bit), I copy pasted from a previous machine with the same problem. All software is updated to the latest versions as this post date. No hardware problems or disk malfunction found. I also contacted Apple Support. Same issue there, insisting on clean install, ridiculous as the machine is out of the box.