What is the actual cost of a PAX subscription?

Discussion in 'Account and Subscription Management' started by PaulKorm, Aug 28, 2013.

1. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

I have one Mac laptop. Running Parallels 8, I have one VM -- Windows 8. What is the actual cost of a PAX subscription -- (a) a single annual fee that includes the Mac and any VM running under Parallels 8 on that laptop, or (b) one annual fee for the Mac OS as one "computer" and a second annual fee for the Windows 8 VM as a second "computer"?

This is not at all clear (or even mentioned) in Parallel's sales information, the App Store, or Parallels' knowledge base.

2. JackCaviness

JackCaviness Bit poster

Since Parallels has chosen to hide this information from potential subscribers, I have deleted it from every machine. I will not install what appears to be a scam.

3. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi All,

Parallels Access is available in the App Store for a 14 day trail period. Following the trial, there is an option to purchase a year-long subscription for $79.99.

Chris

4. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

@ChrisParallels thank you for your reply - but I'm looking for an answer to my specific question. Unless are saying the $79.99 annual subscription is for unlimited access to an unlimited number of computers.

5. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Sorry for not clarifying
    The license is for one computer

6. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Amendment:
    One license applies to the Mac/PC - so if you have a Mac running a Windows 8 VM, it is still one license for the Mac. You can install on multiple iPads as well as the license is tied to the hardware of the Mac/PC.

OK. We're making progress. I asked a very specific question and you answered it indirectly. Is "one computer" one operating system on one machine, or is it every operating system on one machine -- in other words, as I asked in my original question "one annual fee for the Mac OS as one 'computer' and a second annual fee for the Windows 8 VM as a second 'computer'" -- so if I used Parallels Access to access my laptop and my laptop has OS X and Parallels Desktop running Windows 8 -- is that two computers? $79.99 x 2?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

That sucks. My home has multiple computers and only one iPad... I'd like to use Parallels Access to do stuff like surf on my main computer and watch video from one of the computers connected to a cable box.

Why can't the license be tied to the user? The user logs into the Parallels Access service on any iPad then connects to any computer. The user can't connect to another computer simultaneously on another iPad without having a 2nd license. Easy.

8. lotw

lotw Product Expert

You can only access one computer (either a Mac or PC). If you own a Mac and have Parallels Desktop then you can access all those VMs also. It boils down to $6.67 a month, which could be considered cheap if you compare it to some of the other services that let you get to your PC when you not there, but way more expensive then if you are computer literate, which would be free.

9. bobpenn

bobpenn Junior Member

Yes, the license covers one computer. If you are running Parallels on it (a Mac) and have installed a Windows VM on it, the license will allow you to access that VM, or any other VMs on that computer. It's expensive, for sure, if you have several computers at your home, and I wish the would offer a "family plan" where you could install it on multiple computers. But ... so far I have been very impressed with the product and have no issues with it being a paid product. Besides, if you get Parallels 9 it's free for 6 months, and who knows, by then, maybe there will be additional plans in place.

10. lotw

lotw Product Expert

6 months free is nice, but it should be $80 a year and Parallels is included free. Especially since the software they killed was free and did the same thing for the most part and some things better.

11. Bung55

Bung55 Bit poster

I've asked in another thread here about how this works on a Windows Server, but never got an answer!

Can someone from Parallels please clarify this ?
    (a) Does it work with each user's account on the server as a separate login?
    (b) How does the licensing work in that situation?

Thanks, Dave

ps: Someone from Parallels said this above "Parallels Access is available in the App Store for a 14 day trail period", I also asked about this in another thread with no answer on this - I thought it was 90 days ?

12. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Bung55 / Dave -

I am trying to get an answer on how Parallels Access will work in (a/b) above -
    As for the 90-day question - Parallels Access for Windows is still in Beta so we are offering this version as a 90-day trial as we are still adding features and functionality.

Chris

13. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Yes it does.

14. mohamedhak

mohamedhak Bit poster

thanks,

thank you for this information ........... ^_^ www.1234ex.com