Parallels 9 & Mavericks

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DMWH99, Oct 24, 2013.

1. DMWH99

DMWH99 Bit poster

1. I need to upgrade from Parallels desktop 7 for mac to mac 9.
    2. Also need to upgrade from OS 10.7.5 to Mavericks.
    What sequence do I do this, P9 first then Mavericks?
    Thank you.

2. Scuba John

Scuba John Bit poster

Oh, this is a good question too, didn't think there may be an order to this. And in case people see this and not my other post, then here's my question too.

I have been running very nicely SL Server (10.6.8) on my MacBookPro running Lion (10.8.5), now I want to upgrade to Mavericks and I have been getting a warning from Parallels about having to upgrade to v9 before I install, otherwise it will break and not run.

I have no problem upgrading, but I need to know if 10.6.8 will continue to run on Parallels 9. I use it to run an old FMP database and it's essential that it runs.

I know that it will not run SL OS non-server version, but I have purchased a copy of the server software and it's so perfect I hate to mess with it. It runs better now than it ever has before, even when it was straight out of the box in 2000 or whenever!

I can't find any information on the company's website about this, it's mostly talk about Windows compatibility.

On the other hand, I don't see anywhere where it states that it WONT run, so I'm probably safe, but sure would like to know that I'm OK before I go through the hassle of moving everything and getting it set up again.

I sent an email to the company but didn't receive a response.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

3. TonyJohansen

TonyJohansen Bit poster

I think you will need to upgrade Parallels to Desktop 9 first, then upgrade OS to Mavericks. This would be necessary because Parallels Desktop 7 will not work in Mavericks whereas Desktop 9 works in OS X back to 10.6.8

4. Scuba John

Scuba John Bit poster

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. And I also go an answer to my question and the answer is yes so I'm good to go.

Thanks, great forum!

5. Sthough

Sthough Bit poster

I am currently running 10.6.8 and just upgraded from an older version of Parallels (5) to v9. The upgrade went smoothly and my Mac 10.6.8 also continues to work well, so it looks like it's compatible.

6. Techhead156

Techhead156 Hunter

i would upgrade OS X 10.7.5 first then Parallels.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Incorrect, preferably first upgrade Parallels, as Parallels 9 is compatible with Lion.