Full Screen With Ubuntu On 20' iMac

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by bitznbytes, Jul 3, 2007.

1. bitznbytes

bitznbytes Junior Member

Hi got latest parallels installed on OSX and have vista and xp running perfectly (even in full screen mode) I"ve got the latest Ubuntu installed and can go full screen but it will not completely fit my 20' imac. Is there any tweaking i can do in Ubuntu to get it completely full screen?

thanks,
    B

2. smirkus

smirkus Bit poster

I have this EXACT same problem with my Mac Book Pro, except I'm running build 3138. How can we fix this?

3. viking

viking Bit poster

Full Screen Ok on a 20" iMac with Ubuntu

Hi,

I am also the happy owner of an iMac 20" and I have no problem with Ubuntu in Parallels in full screen.

But I noticed two things:
    • first, the window of virtual machine must be big enough before requesting full screen mode. If it's too small, it won't work correctly.

• Second, you must install the Parallels Tools in that virtual machine.
    Have you done that ?

4. smirkus

smirkus Bit poster

Ahh! Parallels tools! I have yet to upgrade my parallels to 3.0, so I won't be able to until they email me the link to download it. Just to save me some time, after installing 3.0, it will have a "Parallels tools" program that I can use to put on my linux?

Where can I find more information about Parallels Tools, as it seems to be very useful and important?

5. smirkus

smirkus Bit poster

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/FixVideoResolutionHowto

I don't know if this will fix it for Parallels or not. When I try the first thing on that list of possible fixes, something else happens and I don't get an autodetect thing running.

Can anyone verify that Parallels Tools in 3.0 will fix the resolution problem?

6. smirkus

smirkus Bit poster

I APOLOGIZE FOR POSTING SO MUCH HERE, BUT I FOUND THE SOLUTION

After reading through this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/104/alterna...314547/ubuntu-on-parallels-screen-resolution/

I realized it is probably better to use vmware for linux, but I'm sticking to parallels anyways, so I clicked this link:

http://muffinresearch.co.uk/archives/2006/08/13/running-ubuntu-under-parallels-desktop-for-mac/

and after he explains how to install Ubuntu, explains exactly how to change the resolution properly so it works. I did it, and after resetting x server, everything worked great. Just to check that I did everything right, under resolutions, all the ones I selected were there.

Also, I don't know this yet, but I think Parallels 3.0 does fix a lot of this anyways, post here to let me know.

7. viking

viking Bit poster

Installing Parallels Tools is very easy. I don't remember the exact name of the needed item in the menu (I'm at the office, for now...), but while the guest OS is running in the virtual machine, you go to the Parallels menu, and you'll find something like "Installing Parallels Tools". When you choose that, a virtual CD mounts on Ubuntu's desktop. ( it's path is /media/cdrom ) Then, you just have to follow the instructions to execute the install script that's on it. You reboot, and that's it!

8. viking

viking Bit poster

Yes, the Tools fix the resolution problems.

For instance, after installing those Tools, if you resize the VM windows, Ubuntu ajusts its resolution to fit in the new window.

Realy smart! :)