KB Shortcut to flip between VM and host OS

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ozpass, May 4, 2006.

1. ozpass

ozpass Bit poster

The small feature that I'd like most is a simple way to "flip" between host OS and the VM.

For example, I choose to run XP in my VM at fullscreen full resolution on my MacBook. I can switch back to OS X by pressing Ctrl-Alt but this gives me an ugly oversized window for the VM, and to switch it back to fullscreen VM I have to select this from the menu.

In my ideal scenario I could press (say) Apple-F (to "flip") when inside the VM which would bring me back to OS X with the VM already minimised. I could then press Apple-F again to put me straight back to the VM in fullscreen mode.

Another alternative might be to auto-resize the VM resolution so that it runs at 800 X 600 when windowed, but at the full 1440 X 900 when fullscreen.

Any mileage in this?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We already have such feature. You should have Parallels Tools installed in guest OS and you should uncheck option menu Parallels Workstation->Preferences->User Interface->Change Mac OS X resolution.

3. kaufman

kaufman Member

It almost perfect. One improvment would be that now when you go to full screen it:

Changes to full screen at 1024x768
    Shows the display
    Changes the resolution to 1440x900

and when you exit full screen it:

Leaves full screen mode
    Shows the display still at 1440x900 size
    Changes the reoluion back to 1024x768

Ideally, you should be supressing showing the intermediate screen display. So what I would like to see if when you change to full screen it:

Changes the resolution to 1440x900 without redrawing the window
    Switch to full screen mode
    redraw

and when you leave full screen mode:

leave full screen mode without redrawing the window
    switch to 1024x768 resolution
    redraw

Does this make sense?

Michael

4. ozpass

ozpass Bit poster

That's what I'm asking for too. When you switch from Guest OS to Host OS, the Guest OS changes its resolution dynamically so that it fits into an appropriately sized window. Or I'd settle for it minimising itself.

Also, I can set the key combination to switch from Guest OS back to Host OS (works perfectly) but nothing I do will switch *back* to fullscreen Guest OS mode.

5. mkoistinen

mkoistinen Bit poster

Try "Virtue"

I too, would like this added to the feature set. In the meantime, I've found a Mac OS tool called Virtue (http://virtuedesktops.info/) which allows you to set up virtual desktops and flip between them (using several animation-types). I've set one to be called "Windows" and I run Parallels in this one and I can flip back and forth in fullscreen mode perfectly.

For best results, disable the "Animation Mode" within Parallels Fullscreen mode options.

I do, however, think this would be better implemented within Parallels...

Best of luck.

6. kaufman

kaufman Member

I use virtue too. The only downside is that you still have to leave full screen mode if you want to change a preference, connect a CD/DVD, atttah to a USB device or anything else that requires access to the menu. What might be nice is a way to see the menu while in full screen mode.

Hey Parallels guys, how about an option to show the menu if the apple key is help down for 2 seconds (or something like that)?

Michael