iPhone will not connect through parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mediafly, Jun 30, 2007.

1. mediafly

mediafly Bit poster

Has anyone else had trouble connecting iphone to itunes on a parallels vm instance?

I tested on my up-to-date install of 2.5. Then I upgraded to 3.0. same result.

When i plug in iPhone and select iPhone as one of the devices in the Devices > USB menu, the windows xp vm does its usual "found new hardware" thing. But itunes never conencts to itunes. I rebooted and tried several different attempts.

I tested on my primary XP vm and a fresh XP vm with a fresh install of itunes 3.7. iPhone did not connect in either. I thought it might just be slow so i left it connected overnight. That did not help.

The iPhone connects perfectly to iTunes in OSX or Vista (via bootcamp). So, I believe this is a USB bass-through issue with parallels.

Any suggestions?

2. jwhowa

jwhowa Bit poster

I have the exact same problem as described... Methinks it is not just "you and I" with this problem. Parallels, help! :)

3. scrytch

scrytch Junior Member

Ummm... I know it's great if things like this work, but my question to you is - why do you want it to work seeing you have a Mac?

Only thing I can think of is you want it to sync with your work contacts and calendar from Outlook, but your work uses PC's and you use a Mac?

Regards,
    Shane.

4. jnassi

jnassi Bit poster

That's the scenario that I have, for work calendar items (not contacts). Almost all of my day-to-day activities occur within my OS X environment, and I run Parallels/WinXP for Outlook calendaring -- can't live without Outlook calendaring at my office, unfortunately.

Since I couldn't get my iPhone to be recognized by iTunes within Parallels/WinXP, here's the workaround that I came up with for the time being:

1) Load my mac.com iDisk into my Mac environment.
    2) In Parallels, run the application Outport
    3) Export the Outlook Calendar to desktop in Evolution format
    4) Copy file calendar.ics to iDisk/Sites/
    5) Within Terminal: mv /Volumes/MY_MAC_COM_NAME/Sites/calendar.ics /Volumes/MY_MAC_COM_NAME/Sites/.calendars/Outlook.ics
    6) Open iCal and subscribe to http://ical.mac.com/MY_MAC_COM_NAME/Outlook.ics
    7) After iCal finishes pulling down the items from mac.com, then sync my iPhone through iTunes on my Mac.

There's probably ways to simplify this a bit, or even script it.. if I can, I'll edit this post with simpler steps.

5. jwhowa

jwhowa Bit poster

My scenario is the same as above... For full calendaring support, I have to sync with Exchange's Outlook application. That is the single "windows" application I can't live without, and the main reason I run parallels in the first place. Sure, I have a Mac, and I wish Entourage was all that Outlook is, but it simply isn't, so for my iPhone to be completely useful, I need outlook sync.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You are detaching (logically, not physically) the iPhone from OS X before trying to attach it to Windows, no?? It can't be attached both places at the same time.

7. mediafly

mediafly Bit poster

Yes, I have logically connected iphone to guest os (xp) and the xp os "sees" that there is a valid usb device attached. it loads the apple mobile device in the device manager's usb listing. The XP os goes through its "found hardware" and ultimately determines "hardware has been installed correctly." However, iTunes never recognizes it.

But I don't think it is a problem with itunes because it works great if it is a native os (i.e. not a guest os in parallels). It seems something is missing in the usb virtualization stack in parallels.

fyi... i tried paralells 2.5 and 3.0. same in both.

8. dpratt

dpratt Bit poster

groupcal from Snerdware

May I reccomend a program named Groupcal from Snerdware software? It is a background daemon that will sync your iCal calendars to your exchange server. I've been using it instead of Entourage for a while now, and I quite prefer it.

9. mediafly

mediafly Bit poster

Yes, you are correct. I live on outlook. It is the primary application that i run on outlook and there is just not a great alternative on mac for heavy corporate communications, scheduling.

I am new to this forum. Is it checked regularly by Parallels support team? And if so, do they reply with solutions or to indicate that a fix is in the works? Thanks.

10. swich2mac

swich2mac Junior Member

My iPhone will not launch in parallels 3.0 either. I sure hope these guys fix it soon. I have VMWare Fusion B4 setup on my mac as well and I am going to try it now.

Scott

11. lancespeelmon

lancespeelmon Bit poster

Please patch for iPhone USB connection

I need to sync with Outlook's Calendar and Contacts as others have pointed out. Thanks! L

12. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

There is an iTunes update for iPhone support. I wonder if you need to install this update before Windows will recognize what to do with your HW?

13. swich2mac

swich2mac Junior Member

Uhhhhh, we know that iTunes 7.3 is required already! This is a parallels issue as it works fine in my OSX environment, as well as on a windows box!

14. olddirtyme

olddirtyme Bit poster

Recognizing iPhone & launching itunes in XP

I have similar issue; running osx 10.4.10 & XP in Parllels 3.0 build 4128. The iPhone shows up under the USB devices but iTunes will not auto launch.

One issue is that when I initially attached the iPhone, XP launched some hardware wizard that identified the phone as a camera; perhaps this 'set the registry' to only recognize the device as a camera?

Please post any insights on this problem here...

15. olddirtyme

olddirtyme Bit poster

Solution - Was able to sync calendar from outlook

These steps allowed me to sync my outlook calendar in Parallels/XP with my iPhone that I previously had activated & synched on my MacBook Pro.

Here is some info that might help. My XP installation can now see the iPod but asks me if I want to merge the accounts when I sync. It seems to have worked. The first two times I tried to sync I did ALSO get some 'time out' errors. But eventually it worked!

SOLUTION - first attach iPhone & make sure XP instance "sees it" and is connected to it.
    1. Click Start
    2. Right-click on "My Computer" icon
    3. Select "Manage"
    4. Click "plus" sign next to "Services and Applications"
    5. Click "Service" from that dropdown
    6. Click on Service named "Apple Mobile Device" and select "Restart"
    7. Click on Service named "iPod Service" and select "Restart"

iTunes should start up & recognize device at this time. Next you will have to step through the sync steps to get your data merged properly.

Enjoy!

16. jwhowa

jwhowa Bit poster

Hey, this worked for me! It looks like I have to repeat the restarting of the services every time I restart iTunes or reconnect my iPhone, but at least it's a start! Thanks for the tip, olddirtyme. Now, Parallels guys, how about a permanent fix?

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

Thanks for your reports - we will look at these issues as soon as possible!

18. mediarite

mediarite Bit poster

Interesting... the above fix worked for me, but ONLY if I switched out of coherence mode into windowed mode.

Thanks for the find!

19. jwhowa

jwhowa Bit poster

For what it's worth...

This worked for me yesterday. Had 2 false starts before it finally synched all my contacts and calendar items. However, today, I can't sync at all, after multiple reboots of the VM, the phone, stopping and starting the services, etc. I am in windowed mode, not coherence if that matters to anyone.

20. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hey, for the record, what happens if you go into coherence when you try to sync? Does it fail like with mediarite?