Fullscreen on 2nd display

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tvamvarg, Jun 21, 2007.

1. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

I have some (minor) issues when running Parallels (3214) in full-screen mode on a secondary display (mirroring turned off, of course) from my MBP.
    The mouse cursor disappears sometimes, and when selecting a menu the selection won't follow the mouse as it should (not the best explanation, don't know exactly how to describe...)

I reported this to Parallels, just wondered if anyone else is seeing this or have a resolution?

This only happens in full screen mode on external display.

(Edit: updated to 3214, same bug)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  2. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

Is there anyone using a dual-monitor setup, with Parallels on the external, that can try this to see if it's a common problem?

Thanks

3. john.

john. Member

I have a Viewsonic display on the 2nd port of my MAC Pro I am using V3.0 and I have no problem that you describe, not sure if my config is relevant to your issue??

4. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

Same problem here on a hp L1925 LCD ... when you have Parallels in windowed mode it is not a problem. Neither is it an issue in fullscreen mode on the MacBook Pro's LCD

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We run Parallels on the secondary monitor in full-screen and windowed mode without an issue on a 17" MacbookPro with 2 GB of RAM on the latest Parallels 2.5 (and a LOT of the previous builds).

6. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

Thanks all for replying,

LandyMan - any ideas of what could make our setup different from e.g. Eru's which would be the most similar (except that being a 17")? Kind of interesting, but I have at the moment no idea even where this is happening...

My office pal running 3.0 with otherwise identical setup sees no such issues. Here's hoping that Parallels will fix that bug for 2.5 though (bug report was sent a couple of weeks ago).

7. sundy

sundy Bit poster

I'm using Parallels 3.0 and still running into a problem that sounds similar.

Here are the symptoms: as soon as I start typing in any Windows application (mail, notepad, etc.), my cursor disappears, and won't reappear until I *click and drag" the mouse. The problem with this behavior is that I have no idea where I'm clicking (because there's no visible cursor), and so the mouse click that lets me *see* the cursor often inadvertently triggers some action on a toolbar, or closes a window or something. I find this happens to me a lot.

Note that this only happens when I'm running parallels in *fullscreen* mode on a second monitor (20" IBM LCD) that is attached to my Macbook Pro.

For now, the workaround is to use Coherence on the second monitor instead of fullscreen, and then maximize individual windows. This seems to get rid of the problem for me at least.

8. smashingly

smashingly Bit poster

Hi

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. You can find other threads about it on here as well. Basically the ingredients to sure-fire reproduce it are:

* Parallels Desktop 2.5 build 3214
    * External monitor hooked up to black Macbook Core2Duo via Mini-DVI to DVI adapter
    * Win XP VM set to full-screen mode, on external monitor
    * Microsoft Word 2007
    * ...type in some text... your mouse pointer disappears.

This seems to have been an issue for quite some time. Why hasn't it been fixed?

regards

Ashley

9. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I never use fullscreen mode
    just enlarge the VM window by dragging the bottom right corner until it looks full screen

Hugh W