Parallels 9: How do I take manual control of resolution and dpi setting?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DHarman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. DHarman

DHarman Member

As per the title, how do I manually set the dpi and and res in parallels 9 with windows 7?

Every time I set it in windows, as soon as I reboot parallels rewrites the settings, and I don't like the 3 options that are exposed on my retina macbook.

Its pretty infuriating to have my settings nuked on startup, especially as dpi changes require a re-login which seems to be when they are overwritten!

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Set VM Config > Hardware > Video > Resolution to More space. This will allow you to tune font/UI scaling in Windows manually.

3. DHarman

DHarman Member

Hi Serv,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that does not work. It lets me set the dpi scaling but every time I restart it forces me into full retina display res.

This is on windows 7 ultimate in a vm on latest public version of parallels.

What I want is full control of res and dpi.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Virtual machine resolution (in pixels) normally matches VM window size (or full screen). If you run your VM in full screen and want a specific resolution then set VM Config > Options > Full screen > Scale to fit screen to Keep ratio.

5. DHarman

DHarman Member

I can't configure settings on that screen as I use the full screen rather than window visual mode. The scale to fit option is set to auto. (and modifying it is dialled with the warning that I need to change to window mode to modify settings on this dialog page)

So what I'm trying to do is control the res of my full screen windows and its dpi scaling without having parallels overwrite settings on restart.

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

As stated above, you need to change "Scale to fit screen" option from Auto to Keep ratio. What I forgot to mention is that you need to shut down your VM to be able to change it. Shut down Windows, change the option and start VM again. That should do it.

7. DHarman

DHarman Member

awesome thanks.

8. JSalty

JSalty Bit poster

I followed this instructions and the text for me keeps changing to 199% which is very annoying to say the least. I am using a MacBook Pro with RD and Parallels Build 9.0.24172 (Revision 951362; Tuesday, December 3, 2013) on Windows 7 VM.

Any advice? Thanks

9. MikenC

MikenC Bit poster

I'm also having this issue. I have a MacBook Pro with RD and an 27' thunderbolt display. I tried the 'Keep Ratio' option however the DPI settings in Win7 will not stick, they keep reverting to 199% after logout/login. Thanks!