Can't create auto snapshot - Error code 53

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by benr1972, Nov 30, 2011.

1. benr1972

benr1972 Bit poster

Hi All,

I'm running Windows 7 on Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac (Build 7.0.14924).

When ever it tries to auto create a snapshot I get an error message stating that it can't create the snapshot and refers to an error code 53.

I've searched and can't find out

1) What is causing the problem; and
    2) How to resolve it.

Can anyone help me?

2. StefWeidm

StefWeidm Bit poster

I have the same problem, host is Mac OS X 10.8.1 , guest ist Win XP Pro SP3. Running the latest demo version of Parallels Desktop.

3. MarcusSvendsen

MarcusSvendsen Bit poster

Hi

Same problem here guys, running Win7 guest on Mac MLion

Im getting real tired of Parallels!!

4. StefWeidm

StefWeidm Bit poster

Are you using FileVault by any chance?

5. StefWeid2

StefWeid2 Bit poster

Did any of you manually delete a .pvm file by any chance?
    Could it be that Parallels Desktop is trying to schedule a snapshot for a VM that you have not properly removed via the application?
    I am still trying to find out what caused this error for me, since I deleted a .pvm file that I no longer need, it might be the reason.

6. Leon Goedhart

Leon Goedhart Bit poster

I have the same problem here after updating to the latest version ( Build 7.0.15107 3 september )
    I cannot even perform big windows updates anymore.

Does it have something to do with the permissions of the virtual disk? They are all set to admin and user write read. I think nothing is wrong. I did not delete any file.

Running Windows XP

7. DjHack1639

DjHack1639 Bit poster

Replying as I found this to be one of the top search results for this Parallels error code.

I found that the error went away when I moved the .pvm file to a *local* drive as opposed to a network drive.

When the pvm was on a NAS share the VM would function correctly, but snapshots would not work.
    I moved the pvm to a local drive, updated the Parallels app reference to the VM and the snapshot feature worked as expected.
    Moving the pvm back to the NAS resulted in the error returning.

Hope this helps others.

8. DjHack1639

DjHack1639 Bit poster

Local vs Network storage

Replying as I found this to be one of the top search results for this Parallels error code.

I found that the error went away when I moved the .pvm file to a *local* drive as opposed to a network drive.

When the pvm was on a NAS share the VM would function correctly, but snapshots would not work.
    I moved the pvm to a local drive, updated the Parallels app reference to the VM and the snapshot feature worked as expected.
    Moving the pvm back to the NAS resulted in the error returning.

Hope this helps others.