Opening attachments to Outlook email

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Old Marine, Nov 29, 2007.

1. solidrock

solidrock Bit poster

I have a similar issue

Whenever I try to open a Word or Excel document using the OSX version of Office from within the VM I get an message, in excel telling me the format is invalid and in Word a file import box opens asking me to select the file type (of which WORD file is not an option).

If I copy these same files to the OSX desktop I can open them perfectly.

2. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

Solidrock,

I get the same results whether I save documents to the VM system desktop or try and open directly from an attachment within the VM on Outlook. As you noted if saved to the OSX system they open perfectly.

This problem only occurs with Work and Excel files (in itself strange) and I get the same dialog box with Word and error message with Excel as you are getting. Can I assume you are running Office for Mac 2004?

So there are now at least two of us experiencing this problem. Any others on the forum having similar issues?

3. solidrock

solidrock Bit poster

Yes Office for Mac 2004. It is weird and I hope they look into it.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Old Marine and Solidrock,

What if you install MacFUSE 1.3.0?
    It's just a guess, but who knows...

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

Xenos,

Interestingly enough updating MacFUSE from 1.1.1 to 1.3.1 did the trick. Both Word and Excel documents now open properly from Outlook attachments on my configuration. Hopefully Solidrock has the same results after installing.

By the way the link you provided in your post was dead. I used

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

I selected MacFUSE 1.3.1 for OSX 10.5.

Thanks for the support and great suggestion.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

What a mercy!!!! Old Marine, I'm happy to know you can now open both Word and Excel files attached to Outlook e-mails! Thank you very much for the feedback.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. solidrock

solidrock Bit poster

Thanks!!!

Yes that fix worked for me too! Life is so much simpler now :)

Cheers.

8. Jason Cutler

Jason Cutler Junior Member

This is definitely an issue *not* Leopard related.

This thread is closely related to the "To use your Windows files directly in Mac you should reinstall Parallels Desktop." and "Leopard - Outlook - Error Message" threads.

I have the same issue, and I'm crossposting so the maximum number of people can read it.
    This is using

OS X 10.4.11
    Parallels 5584
    WindowsXP SP2
    Outlook 2003

The events that caused Outlook attachments to be unable to opened by Mac applications are as follows:

The user's account was a local account, but I needed to convert it to a Network account unfortunately the shortname was the same. So I followed these steps I found on the Internet:
    I renamed the user's home folder for existing local account
    I deleted the local user's account (to remove it from the Netinfo database)
    made the new network account
    I rename the user's home folder back to the original shortname
    I did a "chown" command on the folder like this:

sudo chown -R username:staff /users/username

Everything seems to be fine except for opening attachments directly from within Outlook, unless you use a Windows app to do so. If a Mac app is assigned to open the attachment, we see the same error as Old Marine does:

"Parallels Desktop cannot open file C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKF5\DocumentName.doc from the guest OS. You can open only files located on Windows drives (volumes) which have drive letters assigned or in Parallels Shared Folders".

I believe this to be a permissions error. I have checked the permissions on the C drive alias, and "Others" was set to "Read Only". I tried setting it to "Read & Write" and rebooting Windows and restarting Parallels, but that didn't work. The Group permission is still "Read only", but I don't know what group these aliases should be.
    Someone on the forums suggested deleting these aliases and letting Parallels recreate them, but I'm a little nervous about that.

I also tried:
    reinstalling Parallels Tools
    disconnecting all Shared Folders, restarting Windows and reenabling them

If the files are on the Windows desktop they open in Mac apps fine, just not from within Outlook which is what the user expects to do.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  9. johnwillsey

johnwillsey Bit poster

Posting this in case others find this thread as I did. If it works, let us know...

I am running Mavericks and Parallels 9 with Windows 8.1 and Outlook 2013.

I was not able to open attachments either.

I found the solution:
    From Mac Finder: Finder>Preferences>General menus check connected servers.

This should display your "C:\" Drive on the desktop.

Shutdown Parallels
    (Might want to reboot mac for good measure too, but I did not find it necessary)
    Launch Parallels
    Launch Outlook

Attachments should now open.

Goot luck!

10. johnwillsey

johnwillsey Bit poster

Turns out a few days later I had the issue again and figured out why.

Parallels/Mac OS sometimes mounts the windows Drive differently on the desktop. Sometimes It mounts just the Drive "C". In this case, i cannot open any attachments.
    Other times it mounts as "[C] vm_name". In this case I can open my attachments. quitting/rebooting parallels does not necessarily solve it.

I found that going to the VM Configuration:
    Options Tab > Sharing > then unselecting/selecting "Mount Virtual Disks to Mac Desktop" was able to get my volume to mount correctly with the "[C] vm_name" title.

Hopefully this lets the developers track down the root cause of the issue...