CD-burning fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hasseogtage, Jul 6, 2007.

1. hasseogtage

hasseogtage Bit poster

I have installed Windows Media Player 11. When trying to burn a music on CD an error message is showing A problem occurred.... When pushing the web help button, the web page says You've encountered error message C00D10DA while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error.

Trying to burn CDs by just copying files to the CD station does not work either. The system says that it starts burning but report errors later in the process leaving the CD media untouched.

I have the following equipment:
    Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 build 4128
    Mac OS X.4.10 on a 17 MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo.
    I am running Windows XP SP 2 inside the Parallels.
    I have no other CD-burning software installed on the Windows side.
    On the Mac side I have Toast installed.​

Any suggestions, or is CD burning under Parallels Desktop just not supported?

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

CD burning is supported under Parallels. Can you tell what CD-ROM name you have inside your VM?

And one point: if you boot up Windows with CD image conneced, you will not have burning capacities. You should boot with real Cd connected to VM.

3. hasseogtage

hasseogtage Bit poster

In "My computer" it is just called "DVD-RW station (D:")"
    I boot with the real CD connected (turned on the right Parallels prefs)
    The internal DVD/CD writer is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846 if that matters.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  4. eemn825

eemn825 Bit poster

Anyone have a step by step fix of this problem? I'm having the same issues.

5. cafeface

cafeface Bit poster

I also can't burn CDs

I have a similar problem with Parallels 3 on a Mac Pro. I've tried three different pieces of disc writing software, but all fail. They can detect the type of media and that the disc is blank, but fail with power calibration (burning on the Mac side is error-free).

6. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I've had the same problem ever since CD/DVD burning was supported in Parallels. I've tried with the orignal drive in my MacPro (Sony) as well as a Lite-On. Burning works fine in the Mac environment, but I get the same things happening in XP as described above. I have the CD drive enabled in parallels set up and I have it set to automatically connect to the physical drive not an image. I've posted several times in the past. Typically several people suggest what I am already trying and then nothing. I hoped that upgrading to version 3 would fix this, but there is no difference at all. I have also contacted Parallels support and they have told me to do the steps outlined above, but when I respond to tell them I've already been doing that, I've heard nothing back from them. The drive is listed as a DVD-Ram drive in Windows Explorer. CD burning is enabled under the Properties/Recording tab. I really have no other problems with Parallels at all, but this is a source of constant irritation to me. My current workaround is to keep a PC at my desk for CD/DVD burning from Windows apps. (And no, there are no native Mac apps that do what I want with DVD's.)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  7. RonC

RonC Bit poster

I am also having this problem but I have discovered that if I want to burn an iso image to a CD it works fine. I can't burn a CD if I am building a new one from scratch by choosing files. If I make an iso of my new compilation first and then burn the iso it is fine.

8. steinarne

steinarne Bit poster

I had the same problem , I could not burn cd in parallels (WinXP). But after I changed cd/dvd-rom options, Attachment Options Connect to: from IDE 0:0 to IDE 1:0 in Edit virtual machine, I can burn cd without errors

9. Dino33

Dino33 Junior Member

But did you have to install a software program such as Nero or use the Mac burner?
    Any chance of someone please giving a step by step instruction on how to do this.
    Thanks

10. Dino33

Dino33 Junior Member

Does the name default or does the user have to create one?

Could you please indicate how? Thanks

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

The issue with CD-burning could have been caused by Windows CD-Rom libraries limitations. Some Apple drivers are not compatible with Windows.
    Please try installing Nero.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  12. Dino33

Dino33 Junior Member

Thanks for that. I did have Nero 6 which didn't work. But tried the trail version of Nero 8 and it works a treat.

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Glad to know that!

With best wishes for a happy New Year,
    Xenos

14. scotto

scotto Member

I have the same problem trying to burn CDs. My machine takes over 20 minutes to straighten out after each attempt, since the VM becomes almost completely unresponsive and the CD has to be manually ejected. It's a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.11, MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D
    Is this one of the incompatible drives?

Regarding the Nero install: does installing the trial version of Nero get compatible drivers installed that will then work with native Windows XP CD burning, or must Nero be used for the burning as well? Nero sure seems like overkill to just write some files to CD. Thanks.
    --Scott

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Scott,

What is your PD build?
    Can you burn CD on Mac side?
    Did you try to restart your VM before burning CD?

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. scotto

scotto Member

It's build 5582. CD burning works fine on the Mac side. It *always* fails on the Windows side, including after a restart. The worst part is the system becoming almost comatose after reporting a damaged CD. I've also tried different media speeds with no benefit. I believe it worked okay in July or so, but it has now consistently failed for months.

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Scott,

The issue might be caused by the particular Nero version you are trying to use.
    Did you try to burn disks by Windows standard means (drag-n-drop files on disk)?

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. scotto

scotto Member

Xenos-
    Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't installed Nero yet - still wondering (as I posted) whether Nero is recommended just for its drivers or as a required substitute for burning.
    --Scott

19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Scott,

Nero is recommended as a technology providing advanced CD burning options.

Best regards,
    Xenos

20. j4j5j6

j4j5j6 Bit poster

But having Nero still doesn't allow use of built in Windows burning so you still can't burn from Media Player or other programmes.
    Xenoa - are Parallels looking to find a fix for this issue or not? Native burning from windows should be possible.