Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ATXP, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ATXP

ATXP Member

For some reason, I'm getting this:

Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!

I have no such problems before. It just happened out of the blue. Did a search in this forum and found that some folks have similar problem. But there no definite fix or solution.

Do not wish to re-install my Windows XP / Boot Camp because I know it's a Parallels problem. Ran Windows XP fine on Boot Camp.

Help? Anyone?

Thanks.

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Does this solve your problem:

3. ATXP

ATXP Member

Nope. That was the solution I tried. My Boot Camp did have the sp2.cab file. Anyhow, did duplicate and rename the drivers.cab file. Still not working.

4. ATXP

ATXP Member

Still not opening.

Anymore solution?

5. crockercaria

crockercaria Bit poster

Just click on Actions/Start .. (sort of) works for me

The same happened to me about a week ago after I updated to Mac OS 10.4.10.
    Paralles xp boot camp dies and then when I booted directly to windows that also seem ed to die --after repeated efforts I eventually got a message saying the system32/config fle was corruped. Then neither parallels or boot camp was working. I replaced the windows registry files with those in the Repair directory , updated parallels to 3214 - now when I start the parallel windows xp boot camp I still get "unable to open disk image Boot Camp!" However if i just click on actions/start it seems to boot up - however windows now asks for the activation key and I ned to reinstall a load of software .
    My experience with parallels has not been happy!

6. thegdog

thegdog Bit poster

I've had this problem on my work laptop. Once I get the error message, I just click the Play button and my VM opens fine. Its just that the first time it tries, it isn't able to open it.

Not sure why, and it doesn't happen all the time. But I've never had a problem with it not opening on the second try.

7. ATXP

ATXP Member

Tried too many times and I still can't open Boot Camp.

8. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

Okay, dumb question, but are you sure you're typing your password correctly? Parallels asks for your administrator password on launch. If you fat-finger your password (or forget that the caps lock is on) it will give you the error that it can't access Boot Camp.

Dumb suggestion yes, but sometimes it's the simple and obvious things that are overlooked.

-Z

9. ATXP

ATXP Member

Guess it's pretty dumb when I said this problem happened out of the blue. Haven't changed any password. Pretty sure I typed in the correct password.

So, conclusion - no one can solve this problem expected Parallels tech support (obviously non-existent).

10. roadkill_97006

roadkill_97006 Junior Member

I had this happen and got it working. The first time I used the "change the address in the .pvs file" method and it worked. I changed it to what was reflected in the output of the "df" command, i.e disk0s3. Then it worked fine until I did an OS-X update that required a reboot. After that, I got the error again. I did the df again and the dratted thing had now been mounted as disk1s3!! So I changed it back and now it boots again... Weird, but you might want to look at that. Just bring up terminal and enter df, and look for your boot camp drive.

Jim

11. ATXP

ATXP Member

Did "df" in Terminal and my Boot Camp is disk0s3.

Now, how do I check the .pvs file and change what's necessary?

12. ATXP

ATXP Member

Found the solution myself.

Completely uninstall Parallels 3.0. Trash all files related to Parallels.

Freshly installed Parallels 3.0, reactivated product along with previous serial number.

Configured for Boot Camp.

That's all.

Then have to call Microsoft hotline to reactive my Windows XP Pro.

Sigh...

13. roadkill_97006

The .pvs file is in the UserID/Library/Parallels/yoursystemname folder. you can change it with Textedit. Just be sure it's not in use when you edit it and save it once changed.

Jim

14. ATXP

ATXP Member

Thanks Jim. I kinda figure dat but it didn't work. So, I resorted to a complete uninstall and reinstall which solved the problem.

15. roadkill_97006

Hmmmm.. Odd. It's worked for me twice. Obviously there's some other variable besides the two we know about. Sorry you had to do the re-install. I'd rather go to a "painless" dentist... :eek:

Jim

16. ATXP

ATXP Member

What to do.

Anyhow, I solved the problem.