Will upgrade of Ram improve improve performance?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pkasin, Jul 4, 2007.

1. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

I have a Mac Book Pro 2.33GHz, 2 Gb. I am wondering if I increase my RAM to 3 Gb. (or more) if I'll se a appreciable increase in performance. I am running Parallels for Mac 4128. Anybody with experience?

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Is that even possible? I'm able to put only 2G in my MBP. But yes - more RAM is just about always a good thing though there's a limit to how much you can give the VM and still see improvements that justify it.

3. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

From what I've read, you can install 2Gb Ram and leave the other slot as 1Gb... it's not cheap, but if the speed/response is appreciable, I'm up for it.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

3 GB is possible in the MBP and with the new Santa Rosa MBPs you can add 4.

5. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

6. Jack Dumphy

Jack Dumphy Member

Yes, it will help a lot!
    For me it was the right decision to expand the ram up to 3 GB.
    I will not miss that stupid beach ball !:D

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If it gets rid of that beachball I might just be in line for some more on our attorneys laptops.

8. David5000

David5000 Pro

Well, yes, some benefits, although apparently not significant:

"While there does seem to be a small performance benefit gained with the 4.0GB vs. 3.0GB config, we'd recommend sticking with 3.0GBs max (in Core 2 Duos) unless you absolutely are seeking every last trickle of performance boost possible."

David

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It also helps when you have multiple applications running...

10. RReuscher

RReuscher Bit poster

It did for me

It depends (as always with computer systems). In my case I went from 2GB to 3GB in my 17 inch MBP CD2, and it made a significant difference in the Parallels guest machine, so much that I frequently leave the Windows system up an running, even though I don't use it much. Before I would bring it up to run when I needed the occasional Windows program, and then shut it down when I was finished. Now I can leave it running in the background if I don't want to shut it down when I'm done with it. Helps to keep it up to date with the windows fixes, and virus updates.