Ubuntu madness...

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by seebs, Jul 5, 2007.

1. seebs

seebs Junior Member

I'm running 3.0 (4128), and the directions I've seen for installing Feisty Fawn are all for 2.5 -- and sure enough, I'm having a hard time getting a live system. Unfortunately, I can't use Fedora -- the product I want to run has some weird compatibility issues with FC7, anyway. Maybe I'll try FC6.

Anyone done Feisty Fawn under 3.0 yet? Are there differences from the 2.5 instructions?

2. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

My experience:
    • Feisty Fawn "Alternative" install CD - me, I prefer the old-style installer - less to go wrong.
    • 256M of RAM
    • Basic install worked OK *except* the graphical startup/shutdown screen didn't work, so you have a black screen until the login window appears and get garbage on the screen while shutting down
    • Change the kernel params to include "nosplash vga=normal" to get a boring but informative text start up. You can do this from the grub menu before booting (temporarily - to diagnose non-booting problems) or permanently by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst
    • Before trying to install the Parallels tools, dismount the Ubuntu install CD. When I followed the instructions, Ubuntu didn't realise that the CD image had changed
    • Uninstall the gnome network manager widget which (as far as I can tell) is just plain broken if you have an old-fangled wired network (nothing to do with parallels)
    We're clearly not yet at the "it just works" phase...
    The above worked for me but others seem to have hit other problems, so YMMV.

3. seebs

seebs Junior Member

I was doing kubuntu, subtly different.

I gave up and put it on vmware fusion, where it's working fine. Only hiccup was that trying to have both loaded at once killed the host system. (That is clearly a bug.) Sometime when I'm bored I might have a look at trying to get it working, but in practice, I'll wait for a newer release of Parallels, or possibly just not bother.

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have kubuntu too,

Same thing as Ubuntu, works as well as ubuntu. Follow the same instructions as itsdapead said, just make sure you download the kubuntu CD. And of course ignore the last line about the gnome network manager.

By the way, I have both 7.04 and 7.10 alpha 2 and both work very well under Parallel.

5. viking

viking Bit poster

Hello,

Have you been able to mount a USB stick on Ubuntu under Parallels ?

I can't...

I have Parallels 3 and the last version of Ubuntu.

Thanks!

6. blaine.horrocks

blaine.horrocks Bit poster

Use the linux/ubuntu selection, not solaris

4128 installed feisty just fine on my Core Duo. I used the desktop i386 iso image and selected linux as the os and ubuntu as the distro. It did however take a couple of shots at it so I'm suspecting there are still plenty of quirks

7. smirkus

smirkus Bit poster

One thing I realized, is the RAM you dedicate to your VM actually matters a whole lot. While booting Ubuntu, if I dedicated 768mb RAM it just wouldn't finish installing the OS. Once I did 512mb, worked on the first try.

Another personal question, so please pm if you have a sec, if anyone here upgraded to Parallels 3.0, how long did it take them to send you the email link? Thanks!

8. fbronner

fbronner Pro

about 5 minutes

9. Ynot

Ynot Pro

You can select any other VGA mode, not just only text ones. Ubuntu sets strange videomode by default, but if you manually override this mode in grub.lst - all will work fine.

10. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Thanks - can someone confirm which video mode they have used successfully?
    I tried several permutations and got various different "effects" but none that I'd describe as "working fine".

11. jhwhitey

jhwhitey Bit poster

I was able to run Fedora if I configured the virtual machine to be "Windows XP" and enabled DirectX support. However, I'm not able to get the screen to the resolution that I'd like. It seems that it will only let me do 4:3 resolutions.

12. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have it running 7.10 alpha 2.

Besides the standard issue of freezing up on exit, the rest works very well...

13. bruckwine

bruckwine Junior Member

anyone got Desktop Efefcts to work yet?