Parallels 9 & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mmjr2000, Feb 18, 2014.

1. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this issue with Parallels Desktop 9.

I'm on a Late 2013 iMac with Mac OS Mavericks, 1 TB HD, 3.5 Ghz i7, 2 Gig GeForce 775M, 16 gigs of ram.

My guest OS is Windows 7.

Here is my problem that I am having.

When I try to play a video in Full Screen from youtube or anywhere my Firefox tells me to like continue to stop script of adobe flash (running latest), (Browser: Firefox)
    When I try to do the same thing in Google Chrome it takes several attempts but finally it will make it to Full Screen without any issues.

I can only duplicate this issue on Parallels Desktop 9.

If I downgrade and switch to Parallels Desktop 8, I have no issues with videos playing in full screen or have any issues regarding adobe crashing.

Since I haven't paid for Parallels 9 and don't plan on it until I know these Full SCREEN issues for video playback are fixed I been just testing and using Parallels 9 trial and hope a solution comes about fixing these issues.

Otherwise my paid version of parallels 8 works great but has the lack of performance parallels 9 offers.

I'm just using the iMac. So I have no other displays hooked up.

Parallels Desktop 8 for both Firefox and Google Chrome when switch to full screen it switches with no errors, etc! (flawlessly), (perfect)
    I'd like to see when switching to full screen for videos work or do just the same as 8 but in 9.

I plan on making a video of my experience but it's pretty self explanatory.

I hope I'm not the only one with this issue.

This occurs in Coherence Mode.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello mmjr2000,

Full Screen issues or the issues with Coherence mode may happen if Parallels Tools are not installed properly.
    To resolve the issue, reinstall Parallels Tools by following steps as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/4841

Thanks,
    Maheeshwar

3. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply.

This has happened on my old Mid 2011 iMac and same thing on my Late 2013 iMac.

This only happens in Parallels 9 as I have stated vs Parallels 8.

I just received my iMac on Feb. 17th 2014 which was about 3 days ago. I installed a fresh copy of parallels 9 (trial) and the OS and of course the tools.

If I am having to reinstall Parallels Tools on a brand new iMac with a clean copy of Parallels 9 (trial) and the OS and the tools then you guys need to fix your parallels tools in the main installer.

However if I repeat the same steps in Parallels 8 everything works without an issue. I have a paid copy of 8 but I like the performance of 9 but the full screen issues is preventing me from making the purchase of 9.

So if it works fine is Parallels 8 then there is something wrong with 9.

I have been testing Parallels 9 since it has been released and there has been no progress in fixing this... this full screen issue has been happening since launch of 9. I know I am using the comparison between 8 and 9 and I know Mavericks changed a few things in their OS. However 8 works awesome with Mavericks and sadly I have to say it works better than 9 as far as stability vs performance.

I hope that clear things up.

Later on I'm going to have a friend test this on his Mac to see if the problem relies with Parallels 9 itself and have him post his results as well in the forums.

Thanks again for the reply and hope Parallels 9 will continue to improve especially going to FULL screen from being in coherence mode.

4. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

I have decided to revert back to Parallels Desktop 8. Everything I had issues with in Parallels Desktop 9 with Coherence is resolved and fixed in Parallels Desktop 8, it's sad you have to actually downgrade to get a working product but yet support for Parallels is really lacking...

So for those that are having issues with full screen applications in coherence mode I'd recommend Parallels Desktop 8, until Parallels decide to FIX their issues with 9.

I refuse to pay for something that works find on an older version.

5. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

When will there be an update to Parallels Desktop 9? Will there be coherence fixes in the next release?

I really like the performance of Parallels Desktop 9, but the issues ugh!!!

The only way I see of fixing these issues is to Move "Windows 7" to a 2nd monitor and run Windows 7 in Full Screen vs Coherence. I just don't know why there isn't any issues with Coherence in full screen with Parallels Desktop 8.
    However I just don't feel like forking out $80.00 for Parallels Desktop 9 just to run Windows 7 on it's own monitor.