Turn off ads

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bashcraft, Apr 21, 2012.

1. MelvynP

MelvynP Bit poster

I've changed my mind

Parallels, I've changed my mind, I'm not going to wait until an ad-free version comes out, this is ridiculous. I want my money back, where do I go to get a refund? I bought software, not an ad dispencer. Please respond to this post and tell me how to get my money back.

JohnG24 likes this.
  2. EkaterinaZ

EkaterinaZ Parallels Team

Dear MelvynP,

I did not find your orders at the Parallels Online Store.

Please reply with a private message and provide details about your purchase:

1. where it was purchased;

2. contact information used for submitting the order if is was purchased from parallels.com;

2. if it was a download or a boxed copy.

Also I would like to recommend you to contact Technical Support for assistance with the ads that you do not want to see while running Parallels Desktop. You may submit a support requests using your support code here:

http://www.parallels.com/support/request

3. TonyTony

TonyTony Bit poster

I work at a pharma ad agency in NYC and I'm glad we didn't purchase a volume license. This is just totally unprofessional. Would never purchase for personal use or recommend it either. Thanks to all who linked to this thread.

JohnG24 likes this.
  4. ThomasB_

ThomasB_ Bit poster

Why is my copy of Parallels 7 connecting to Google Analytics?

JohnG24 likes this.
  5. boneznet01

boneznet01 Bit poster

Hello, I need to know how to turn this off permanently. I cannot deploy this software to user computers with ads coming up... You understand right? You -must- let power users and corporate users disable this permanently. Please advise.

6. jkaldon

jkaldon Bit poster

Forced advertising to PAID customers is NOT okay under any circumstances. Get your head out of the clouds and go fix your software. Don't bother PMing me unless you can tell me how to turn off ALL advertisement FOREVER in this product.

7. Basharar

Basharar Bit poster

That is plain spam and its getting annoying, someone at this company is an idiot.

8. MaakerM

MaakerM Bit poster

Everytime I check "Don't show me this again" it comes back in the future. How can I turn this off forever? I have paid you guys 100s of dollars on all releases thus far.. what else do you want fro me? Stop spamming me!

So please explain exactly how to turn this off.

thanks

JohnG24 likes this.
  9. staylor

staylor Bit poster

Just got another ad this morning. Maybe it's time to just be honest and give one final ad pointing us to VMWare.com to avoid future spam.

JohnG24 likes this.
  10. veenk57

veenk57 Bit poster

Another formerly loyal customer who is seriously considering migrating to another VM solution. If the pop-up advertisements are not disabled by default on the next software update, I will uninstall this product and never purchase from this company again. This is not something I should have to try and disable. I paid for the product and do not want advertisements on my computer. If Parallels wants to generate more revenue through advertisements, this should be an OPT-IN choice offered to the user during installation/update. It should NOT be enabled by default and Parallels should not force their customers to disable advertisements that should never have been displayed without permission in the first place.

You will not hear from me again; you will either continue to receive my money or not based on your decision.

11. VahurS

VahurS Bit poster

Parallels is back to its old habits. PLEASE STOP THIS!

JohnG24 likes this.
  12. David_B

David_B Bit poster

Add my voice to the legions of very, VERY unhappy customers who find this practice both sleazy and unprofessional. My desktop is not yours to abuse with "helpful" ads, nor is it your place to decide whether I find them "helpful" or not. Until the ads go, I'm not paying for an upgrade on this product again. As for receiving a special, secret, don't-tell-anyone-or-they'll-turn-off-the-ads private message, don't bother. Parallels upset enough users to make the fix an openly-circulated item on Twitter and App.net. A simple Google search reveals the answer in the first five results.

I have also contacted the authors of 1Password to let them know their product is being advertised in such a distasteful fashion. I'm one of their customers as well, and when you aggravate your users, you also aggravate the users of several other products. Many of the companies that make those products WILL listen to the negative feedback, and will be less likely to enter into agreements with Parallels in the future. That's something else to consider the next time Parallels convinces itself that this practice is somehow benign and acceptable.

An intelligent, ethical solution to the problem would be to cease this behavior, but I think it's safe to assume after years of aggressive neglect that Parallels won't change its ways. And I have no interest in giving my money to a such a company when so many alternatives are available.

JohnG24 likes this.
  13. TimGreensgod

TimGreensgod Bit poster

Yes. A third-party ad appeared while I was demoing a product to someone.

Sincerely yours,
    a Program Manager at Microsoft

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
    JohnG24 likes this.
  14. Doddy_

Doddy_ Bit poster

Hmmm, For Parallels - check my account - my trial expired and I was exploring here details of how to buy (in particular why the emails from you claim I can buy Parallels Desktop for $79.99, whereas the best UK price from your store is £64.99, or $97 + 19% VAT = $115). Anyway, I came across this thread, and having just read this in horror, be advised that you've most likely lost a potential customer - there is no way that I'm going to tolerate AdWare on my computers.

Unfortunately during my trial period my land-line has been at fault, so my desktop hasn't been connected to the internet (only my laptop) - so I've not seen any spam advertising - is this something that would occur during the evaluation period or only once you've paid the license cost?

JohnG24 likes this.
  15. DavidHS

DavidHS Bit poster

I only registered to post this:

Our company just outfitted our entire IS/IT depts with MacBooks and were considering Parallels for our Virtualization solution. Then I saw this. Congrats guys! You lost a customer! You do such a bang-up job at sucking.

JohnG24 likes this.
  16. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi DavidHS -

I have just sent you a PM regarding your post.

Chris

17. Christopher_Micali

Christopher_Micali Bit poster

I also would like to know how to completely disable all future ads. I am a paid customer from v6 - v10,

JohnG24 likes this.
  18. deanishe

deanishe Bit poster

I solved the problem by moving to VMware Fusion instead.

While I appreciate that the Parallels dev team do their very best to create the best possible VM platform, some twat marketing type/MBA crapped all over it, and voting with your wallet is the only thing said marketing types/MBAs understand.

So I only use Fusion now because--at least so far--they also seem to respect me as a person instead of seeing me as some dumb mark.

Screw those guys.

(FWIW, in contrast to every other Mac app ever, Parallels also think it's perfectly fine to consider different language versions as different products and expect you to pay full price again if you'd like Parallels in a different language.)

JohnG24 likes this.
  19. lfparedes

lfparedes Bit poster

It's November 2015 and it's happening again. I almost clicked on the Install button of a f*cking Acronis ad while creating a new VM.
    This is plan this ridiculous. Not recommending Parallels to anyone anymore.

JohnG24 likes this.
  20. StefanR1

StefanR1 Bit poster

I opened a support case (#2205420) with Parallels and received official confirmation that the following command "disables all future product promotion popups in Parallels Desktop 11":

defaults write com.parallels.Parallels\ Desktop ProductPromo.ForcePromoOff -bool YES

It works for me up to now.

JohnG24 likes this.