Upgrade offer to paralles desktop version 3.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by gerd, Jul 7, 2007.

1. gerd

gerd Bit poster

My upgrade to the latest 2.5.x version was quite frustrating. I had to reactivate my windows version, although it was never really in use so far. They said my hardare was upgraded and stuff. There seemed to be great changes to that update. Well I still use may new MacBookPro and never changed anything of the hardware.

When upgrading i got an offer for 40? dollars to an even newer version of Paralles Desktop although I just upgraded it. Now I cannot find this offer anymore. I'm happy windows is now running again after reactivating, although I still haven't yet used it.
    Is it possible that Parallels raised now the price for the upgrade for existing customers? I can't believe they do with quite new customers. Bought my MacbookPro march 24th and Paralles on 25th of march, which was 49 Euro. Now the upgrade is pretty much the same price!
    I feel paying the same money again after 3.5 month again just for an upgrade is quite crazy!
    Why is Parallels doing this for existing customers! Can't understand this policy!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Gerd,

Don't know where you are (Germany would be my guess). Likely the upgrade policies differ, since upgrades become available at different times.

Apparently in the UK the breakpoint between free and not free updates is May 1 per

http://www.avanquest.co.uk/parallels/upgrade/

I was an early adopter of Parallels and recently did upgrade to v. 3 recently ($49). And I would do it again.

Phil

3. paddler

paddler Bit poster

I am very happy at version 2. I have windows working well and after hearing the horror stories on here about upgrading to 3 I was thinking it wasn't worth the risk.

I do like to be on the bleeding edge though, I was just wondering what version 3 does that makes you think its worth spending more money on?

4. Pmoscoso

Pmoscoso Bit poster

What's the point in spending more money in software that does not work??. My beef with Parallels is that doen'st allow me to use USB devices such as my GPS; which by the way, is the only reason for me to run Windows on my computer.
    Pedro :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Zero difficulties with V. 3 here .. including a variety of USB devices (GPSR, HDD, thumbdrive, etc.). I've been lucky, I guess.

The real gaffe is not including an Image Tool capability with v. 3 to allow increasing virtual hdd size. Fortunately mine was already set to 30 GB in v. 2 or I'd be a very unhappy camper.

Phil

6. Pmoscoso

Pmoscoso Bit poster

Phil,
    Did you upgrade from an earlier version?. If you did were you having problems using USB devices with that version?
    Thanks,
    Pedro:confused:

7. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Yes I did upgrade from v. 2.X (don't recall which build, but not quite the latest). I had no usb problems with v. 2.X either.

Phil

8. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

I like 3.0, I can Play EvE online and the feature that mounts the virtual drivers on your mac without having to rig up a share is real nice.

9. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

What version of OSX? My problems with 2.x all began with the latest upgrade, 10.4.10. I believe these have also carried over to 3.x, though I haven't personally verified that.

10. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

I'm using 10.4.10 and PD 3.

Phil

11. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

These problemens were solved in version 3214 and in 3.0

12. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

What problems? I'm not having any.

Phil

13. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

he probably means swarf_rats problem with the 10.4.10 update

14. bboy

bboy Bit poster

There are definitely problems with V 3.0 and USB. I dont' know if it's a 10.4.10 thing or what. My stuff used to work with 2.5 and 10.4.9 and now it does not.

I've spent hours reinstalling and uninstalling drivers and software and nothing has changed that 10.4.10 and V3 Parallels on a MBP CD2 2.33 GHz do not mix.

The error message that "USB device is in use" could be useful or a red herring. Parallels has been completely mum on any USB issues in 3.0. Sure looks like something needs to be unmounted. Please supply with a simple command line work around if that is the case.

15. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

have you tried connectiing via a powered USB2 hub?

Hugh W