Unable to suspend in PD3?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by forgie, Jun 10, 2007.

1. luckylindy

luckylindy Bit poster

I am dead in the water again :-( Seems you can do a suspend for a period of time until whatever it is that loads up 'loads up'. I just hadn't waited long enough.

Then I had two brainstorm workarounds:

1) Instead of shutting down, Hibernate! Windows went through all of the motions but then, when it should have shut down, it came back up and said Hibernate failed. :-(

2) Take a Snapshot of my current setup! Unfortunately, Parallels sees that function as a suspend, as well, so up comes the "Unable to suspend...DirectX/OpenGL" message.

Arghhhh! Someone at Parallels, c'mon, what's going on here? You've got loyal, otherwise happy customers seriously frustrated first by the problem and, second, by your unresponsiveness. Even a "Gee..dunno right now" would be SOMEthing; at least we'd know you're aware of the issue. But as it stands now, are we and the other topic folks having the same issue just talking to each OTHER?

As a marketing guy, I'm telling you now: don't make customer service second to product. It's as--if not MORE--important. You lose your customers' trust, and you lose your customers (read the Quark case study and you'll see how shoddy CS eats away at a company's sales.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  2. jerecoh

jerecoh Bit poster

Me too, but i fixed it...

I'm running Windows XP SP2, Parallels Build 4128 and am getting the same error. This is *really* annoying. I didn't have a problem prior to upgrading to Build 4128.

I ran msconfig.exe and disabled iTunesHelper and QTTask under the Startup tab, leaving only ParallelsToolCenter, sharedintapp, ClamTray (Clam Antivirus), and some unnamed app enabled. Rebooted, left the Selective Startup in place and can now suspend again without problem.

This is wonderful!

Edit: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm has great info on disabling startup items set in the Windows registry. I found iTunesHelper and QTTask folders, deleted them from the registry, and now use the Normal startup mode in msconfig.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  3. forgie

forgie Member

I don't have iTunes or QuickTime installed on my VM, so that ain't gonna help me....

4. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Guys,

We are aware about this problem and working on fixing it.
    For now, disabling DirectX support under VM configuration - "Video" should work as temporary workaround for the most cases.
    For anyone who wants to make some manual troubleshooting and help us in investigating the problem:
    That error message happens when some of the programs you have running in Windows is using DirectX (OpenGl in some rare cases) functions. If you can manually pinpoint the exact program causing it (by manually disabling startup items, for example) and provide us with the program name and main executable file name - it will be helpful for our developers.

5. luckylindy

luckylindy Bit poster

Spectre: Here is one culprit

You didn't indicate where to send our findings to, so I am posting here.

I, too don't have iTunes, and I disabled qttask.exe. (in my case, disabling DirectX didn't fix the issue, either.)

After disabling startup items one by one, I finally found the culprit: our company uses an electronic software delivery system called Marimba Castanet. The client for that system--Tuner.exe--seems to have been the startup item that caused the problem. I had seen this and force quit it in Task Manager in the past AFTER it had been loaded. Duh...never thought that unless I restarted with it not loading again, its effects would always be present. But, as similar posts indicate, I did not have this issue in Parallels 2.x builds, so this is clearly a newbie (which I hope you can fix; this app brings me changes to security and critical company apps that I don't want to ave to be without for too long.)

FYI, here is the company link

6. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

luckylindy,

Thank you. Sorry if I wasn't clear - it's OK if you post the requested info in this thread. I'll pass this info to our developers.

7. cmm0460

cmm0460 Bit poster

Unable to Suspend

Spectre, here's my info. I don't have a problem suspending until after I launch my development environment and work with an OpenGL ActiveX control. DirectX use is not enabled, and even after I quit my app, I can't suspend. I've disabled OpenGL acceleration for the control, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't mind taking a little hit in graphics performance if it means I can suspend (or whatever has to happen to get me back to where I was with 2.0 (wrt suspension anyway). I'd prefer a preference that would allow me to enable/disable hardware graphics acceleration on a per VM basis if suspension is incompatible with it.

Thanks,
    Chris

8. forgie

forgie Member

Is there a utility that can be used to find out what exes are actually using directX? (like Apple's "OpenGL Driver Monitor")

As far as I know, the only application I have set to run in the background at startup is Avast (antivirus).

9. forgie

forgie Member

This damn bug is still there in 5060. Now my taskbar is missing in OS Window mode. So far, PD3 has delivered me no new working features, and a whole lot of broken older ones.

Is anyone else still suffering from this problem of being unable to suspend?

10. forgie

forgie Member

I just did a cleanup, and uninstalled all the software on my VM that I don't actually use. After then switching off every non-MS service and startup item in msconfig, and using a divide and conquer technique, I found that the culprit was "matlabserver.exe", which was installed as part of Matlab. Matlabserver isn't even needed to run Matlab itself, so it is no loss to disable it. Suspend now seems to work fine, although I uninstalled Avast! in the process of elimination, so I'll report back when I've got the system back to normal.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  11. bodhost.com

bodhost.com Bit poster

I think there is one more option instead of MSCONFIG. you can run Services.Msc it is more safer than Msconfig.

12. katskratch@mac.com

katskratch@mac.com Bit poster

Indeed there are. This is a shell of a machine: no gaming, no graphics apps, no movie editing, it's main job; run Quick Books. Are we left to fend for ourselves because this is now the norm? It has become tollerable, preferable even to force what was once the consumer who paid for product, service, candy bar to now also participate in self service quality control. Thanks Paralleles... for not surprising us with results.
    Kat

13. kpfn

kpfn Bit poster

Anyone make any progress with this? It's been a few months now, and I'm still having this problem. I can't find the offending app (assuming there is one) and the DirectX option is turned off, but it's still the same old story.

14. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The latest update should allow you to suspend, even if you can't find the OpenGL/DirectX application that is running.

15. katskratch@mac.com

katskratch@mac.com Bit poster

So I take it there's still no actual answer to this? Confess I know little about PC's. Haven't owned one in years till 10/06 on this platform. Someone mentioned Prefs. Where's Prefs on PC? All I do on this thing is quick books, some excel with macros and try, I repeat try to get my phone voice mail. Having problem also with Java permision file I don't have. And can't see messages until I get it worked out. Related?

16. jordan314

jordan314 Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with the latest build (5582), XP and Leopard.

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Jordan314, please check if "Enable DirectX Shaders (experimental)" is disabled in Configuration Editor - Video tab.

Minimizing Hardware Acceleration level could probably help as well (Start -> Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshooting).

If none of this will help, you should find the application using OpenGL and terminate the process.

Best regards,
    Xenos