Upgraded to 3.0 and AutoCAD stopped working.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by metaBit, Jun 26, 2007.

1. metaBit

metaBit Bit poster

I have been running AutoCAD 2008 under Parallels on my Mac for a couple of months. I just upgraded to Parallels 3.0 and now AutoCAD doesn't open in Windows Xp anymore. As far as I can tell it is the only application that has been affected.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

Maybe I should try uninstalling AutoCAD and then reinstalling???

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello metaBit
    Please check your video options. Try to increase amount of video RAM up to 64mb, also try to enable(disable) DirectX option.

3. Doubledge

Doubledge Bit poster

Was there a resolution to this issue yet? I have just upgraded to 3.0 amd now Autocad 2007 gives me a fatal exception on startup.

Thanks
    Greg

4. Doubledge

Doubledge Bit poster

Well I seem to have narrowed the problem down to Parallels Tools. If I uninstall it Autocad works fine but you obviously loose all the benifits of Tools. I'm sorry I made this upgrade. Now I get to waste billable hours reverting back.

5. ddfrye

ddfrye Bit poster

Are you running Parallels in coherence mode? Did you leave any palettes open in AutoCAD the last time you had it running then shut it down? I find that AutoCAD tends to crash when palettes are opened when you are running Parallels in coherence mode. My workarounds are to run AutoCAD only when I have Parallels in full screen mode, or to always close all palettes before exiting AutoCAD and always open the tool palette first in AutoCAD if I want to stay in coherence mode. For some reason, opening the other palettes doesn't crash AutoCAD for me if I open the tools palette first.

Search for autocad in the forums, as I've made some other relevant comments in other threads.

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The latest update fixes a number of issues with the OpenGL support so that programs like AutoCAD run correctly, so try it if you haven't already.

7. Doubledge

Doubledge Bit poster

This problem still exists. I just revisited this issue and upgrade to version 3 again downloading the latest updates. Autocad still crashes upon startup unless I uninstall PT.

8. Doubledge

Doubledge Bit poster

Ok, I have worked on this some more and found out something new.

The problem is specifically with ACAD accessing a Parallels shared volume/folder to find menu, toolbar, palette and library files. I had these files on the mac side so I could sync them with other computers. I had set ACAD to look for the files in these locations which worked fine in version 2.5. After I upgraded to 3.0, ACAD would crash whenever it tried to get to those files. If you disable the shared folders or tell ACAD to look locally in the VM it works fine.

I do consider this a workaround and hope that Parallels fixes this problem as it was working fine in 2.5. It becomes a major problem to sync these library files manually across multiple computers.