Music from Guest OS to CD

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pelican80, Jul 8, 2007.

1. pelican80

pelican80 Bit poster

I have this great music album a friend of mine sent to me via a file sharing program that only runs on a PC OS. So, now I've got this wondefful album that i'd like to get off of Windows and onto my Mac or onto a CD or onto a Flashdrive, but I can't seem to figure out how to do any of those things. Are they possible?

in distress,
    pelican

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Buy the album from iTunes or Walmart.

3. pelican80

pelican80 Bit poster

thanks for the snide comment, but it's my friend's final project for a coop term at Northeastern U, and while I'm sure my friend would be ecstatic to have a distribution like WalMart, it is not available to be purchased. So, can I ask the question again, is there any way that I can get this music out of parallels?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, it sounded like you were asking a way to pirate. You've gotta get the files saved to your PC in a format that OS X can read (any standard format works, .mp3 (YUCK!), .ogg (with appropriate plug-ins), .aiff, etc.) and then move them like any other files to your OS X. Turn on drag and drop with Parallels Tools installed and drag them to the desktop on your mac.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You have an album you didn't buy. It isn't snide to suggest you buy a copy from a source that will allow you to put the music on both Windows and the Mac. You provided no useful information for anyone but the FBI. Nobody here but you knows if you have stolen property, btw, so you're asking us to possibly help you with stolen property.

What we know is you have a Windows-only album that you are trying to get onto a Mac. This isn't a Parallels problem. It isn't in Parallels, it is in Windows. This is a Windows application problem. Does that application provide non-proprietary audio file saving format such as mp3, etc? If so save the titles as mp3 then drag them to your Mac. There's nothing special about copying files between Windows and a Mac even when you're using Parallels. It's just file sharing.

6. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Did your friend create the music? If he/she didn't, is he/she licensed to distribute the music in the manner you describe?

If not, you and your friend may - repeat, may - have violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which provides for fines of up to $250,000 and jail up to 3 years.

You can also get sued for up to $150,000 for each violation.

This is just a description of the law - not an editorial as to whether the law should or should not be changed.

7. gotenks05

gotenks05 Member

If the music is in mp3 format, use Nero to create an audio CD. Nero costs around 80 to $90, but you can download a free trial. If you're using Parallels 3.0, I can't help because I have not got my copy yet. However, Nero did work in Parallels Desktop 2 and was able to burn in a minor release of version 2 (which still holds true in version 2.5). Like others have said, before you burn the music to CD, be sure that your friend has created the music or has a license to distribute it. Also, I have burned a CD with Nero before, so I know iTunes will be able to extract it from there (thanks to a friend who has a Windows PC).