Service Announcement for Users of Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Chris@Parallels, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The link is working, no question about that, the problem is at your end, did you copy paste the link correctly?

Here it is, again, in one line, clickable, there's no way now you can fail to open it.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5802

2. madashell

madashell Bit poster

I found the site this morning. I don't know what went wrong yesterday. I did the download and installation successfully on my Mountain Lion disk, except that Windows balked when I tried to install it. The workaround was to do the Parallels 7 installation again on my Snow Leopard installation, which was working under Parallels 6. Since Windows was already running there, it didn't cause any problems. I don't know if this comment is appropriate to this thread, but I'll throw it in just in case it will help someone else. Before I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard, I copied my whole Mac disk to an external drive. That gave me a complete duplicate of everything I already had installed. When I upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, I didn't do that. I installed Mountain Lion on an eternal disk after the fact. That method obviously doesn't result in everything working the same way it did before.
    Thanks for your help.

3. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi madashell,

Your Windows VM is a .pvm file located by default at:

Mac HD/Users/Username/Documents/Parallels

or

Mac HD/Users/Shared/Parallels

You could restore your Windows to your external HD and run using Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac.

Thanks,
    Looran

4. jacoe1122

jacoe1122 Bit poster

I have purchased an upgrade package to PD9 online. However when I entered the product key for my old version I realised it was PD6. I understand I can not upgrade from PD6 to PD9? However I have already paid the $50 for the upgrade. Is it possible that I can get the full version of PD9 and only pay the difference?

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi - please check your email for details. Thanks!

6. TELNZ101

TELNZ101 Bit poster

I too have registered solely for the reason of giving my feedback. I have to agree with the many people who have posted here in objection to being sold "Time limited software"(Possibly thousands who have not posted). I am quite shocked that your obsolete software is still on sale, and that you have no control of this. You know who your baseline customers are better than I , so perhaps you don't mind losing the ones that are disgruntled like myself. Personally I would have looked for a solution where you could have retained the "trust" in the software (Trust in the company). Its a common element in the software market, or at least in the end user market (Real people that use computers for their daily tasks) to run a mile from software that is just going to "STOP WORKING". People are becoming wise to software "Holding them to ransom". The brilliant move of Apple to stop charging for upgrades, allows them to make real money from their loyal customer base; gained by supplying software that "Just works".

Parallels is good software, but not so good that it cant be replaced by a reliable piece of software that lasts the distance.

Basic question is how much does it cost?

answer advertised = NZ$ 100.56

Real answer
    2014 NZ$ 100.56
    + 2015 NZ$ 100.56
    + 2016 NZ$ 100.56
    = $301.68 over three years

Nope! I think I'll be looking for a solution with a company that is willing to invest in support for its users and not hold them to ransom in the coming years

7. AugieS

AugieS Bit poster

Yep, this price gouging is enough to send me looking elsewhere, as well.
    Bye Parallels!