Outlook 2010 Archives

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MacHattan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

What's up Group!

I have a user transitioning from a PC to a Mac. But because of the nature of her job, we need to keep her Outlook 2010 email archiving config the same. She has multiple archives and some are incredibly large. And because of the VM disk size for this particular environment, i had no choice but to copy her archives to the Mac side using VIRTUAL MACHINE > CONFIG > OPTIONS > SHARING > SHARED FOLDERS > ALL DISKS. I was thinking of pointing Outlook to these archives on her Mac side using this Shared Folder option enabled. Just a little hesitant in using it.

Has anyone done this? Anyone have any experience doing something like this? Anyone know if this will even work? Performance hit?

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers!

2. FMastr

FMastr Bit poster

this is exactly what I do ..... I have 15 PST files ranging in size from 1gb to 14gb setup in the configuration you describe ..... works fine - no performance issue ......

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There's absolutely no need to share all disks and I advise not to. Use custom folder sharing and share only the folders that matter.

4. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

Mr. Specimen, please eleborate!
    Why do you not advise sharing disks?
    And why use only the custom folder sharing?

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Many reasons, for instance, Windows will fill the Mac disk with with its own hidden files which are rubbish for OS X.

6. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

Okay cool! We'll try it. Thanks for the insight!