Some opinions

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by James Bond 007, May 3, 2006.

1. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

I do not know if this is the appropriate place to voice my opinions, but I do not find other forums suitable, so here it goes.

First, I do not yet have an Intel Mac, though I intend to get an Intel Core Duo mini later in the year (and possibly also an Intel Macbook when they become available). And when I get the computer I may consider getting a copy of Parallels Workstation for Mac.

When I looked at the progression of the OS X version of the software up to Beta 6, I can only say "Wow!". You guys are really trying hard to add features and fix bugs in the software at a pace that the folks at Microsoft can only dream of (see how they still have not gotten Vista to ship after 5 years and probably longer!).

However, I can only wonder: is the software a little ambitious? The software seems not to be very stable sometimes, according to some postings here, and in my opinion, the most important thing is to get the software stable and features can be added later if necessary.

From what I have seen here, you still have some distance to go before the OSX version becomes really stable. I believe you should temporarily stop adding new features and concentrate on fixing any bugs that may compromise the stability of the computer (e.g. kernel panics).

I have used VMware Workstation 4.5.3 and 5.5.1 on Windows XP as host, and both versions are very stable, while offering many useful features, like the very useful VMware Player. If, as rumored, VMware is working on an Intel Mac version of VMware Workstation, and that version is as good as the Windows version, then I am almost certain to choose VMware over Parallels, despite the fact that VMware is more expensive than Parallels. I cannot accept the possibilty of the software crashing and taking down my virtual machines which may take much time to setup, however slight that possibility may be.

Of course, since I have a group of virtual machines setup under VMware Workstation (Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP), if I were to consider Parallels I would want the software to have the ability to convert my VMware VMs. That would save me a considerable amount of time. I hope you can implement this feature in your software.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. kaufman

kaufman Member

I suggest you get aa Intel Mac and try it out for yourself. If (as I have read) 75,000 people are testing this, and only a small handlful are reporting crashes, you should probably try it out for yourself and not rely on three party information too much.

As someone who has used this product for 8 plus hours a day five days a week for the last three weeks, let me say that this is a pretty stable product. I have seen exactly three kernal panics (all with the same early beta) and one case that would cause Parallels to crash after a VM shutdown from full screen (also with an earlier beta). I wish everything I used worked this well.

They seem to be doing pretty well balancing the "adding new features that people are insisting on before they buy" and "fixing the bugs that people are complaigning about before they buy". Each release has had some attention to each.

$50 bucks says the 1.0 version on Mac OS X is not as stable as versions 4.5.3 and 5.5.1.

Well, I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but all software has bugs in it, and there is always a possiblity that it might crash. Or did you think that VMware went from version 4.5 to 4.5.1 to 4.5.2 to 4.5.3 just for the fun of it.

This is highly unlikly. what are the odds that Parallels is emultaing the same hardware (Graphics, Bios, Sound, processor, etc) that VM is. Best case you would have to install a bunch of new drivers, and sacrifice a lot of stability.

It will be interesting to see if you can even bring the machines across to a VM product. I remember on MS Virtual PC, you couldn't use the Mac images on Windows and Vice versa.

When I originally purchased the Parallels product, I suspected that it would be just a stopgap application until VMWare or Microsoft came out with a more polished product. I figured that from a relativly unknown company, with only a $40 cost, how good could the product be. Boy, was I wrong. Except for not supporting syncing to my Pocket PC (yet), this program does everything I ever need to it. It has a few rough spots, but for a beta product, I think it is great. I suggest we both take a look at the final release product and see what we think then. You are free to toss a few hundred dollars at VMWare, but I am betting most people will be better off with Parallels.

Michael

3. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Hi, Michael. Thanks for your response.

I do wish to get an Intel Mac, but at present I need to arrange my funds so that it will be some time before I can do so.:cool:

I am excited at this software, as you are, but at present I simply do not think it is a product stable enough for use. I have used VMware 3.2. 4.5.2, 4.5.3 and 5.5.1 on my PC with Windows XP as host and they are simply rock solid for me. I hope when Parallels is released as a final version it will be stable enough for me to use and not to "test".

And, since VMware has released its file formats, I believe a conversion from the VMware VMs to Parallels should be possible. I certainly expect VMware to provide such a feature if and when they release a Mac version of VMware Workstation. On the other hand I do not expect Microsoft to do so (or be able to do so) since they cannot even guarantee Word document compatibility between different versions!

The feature set of Parallels is nice, but for me the most important thing, if I am to consider it, is that it should be comparable to VMware in stability. Am I expecting too much? I know the price of Parallels is great compared to VMware and I certainly am interested in purchasing it in the future if it works as well as VMware.

[​IMG]

4. kevco

kevco Junior Member

I've been using it since beta 1 and haven't really had any major issues. I used it for the majority of a Visual Basic class I just completed and it was great because the lab PCs at the school were somewhat poorly configured and I really don't like lugging my work laptop around with me (what can I say? I'm lazy).

In fact, for a week or so I had a bad DIMM installed that was making my MacBook reboot randomly. The VM disk image suffered through many sudden hard reboots that were not parallels fault and it never had problems.

5. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Thanks for your opinion.

It is good to hear that you have no problems running Parallels. When I do get an Intel Mac (may be several months away) I shall consider getting the software (I hope by that time Parallels Workstation will have been released.).

6. stuartbh

stuartbh Bit poster

Sir:

Indeed sir I am interested in knowing, in detailed particularity, what version of Acronis True Image you are using to clone VMs for the purposes of applying a reduction in space used within said VMs.

It is particularly instructive sir that I did with complete certainty attempt to reply to the originate posting concerning the instant subject matter, but was unable to do so for reasons unknown to me, as well, it was not possible to email you directly in addition.

Thanks,

Stuart
    Beverly Hills, CA / Las Vegas, NV / Philadelphia, PA / Washington, DC

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We run the Parallels here, I have not had a single crash since I got the Betas out of the office (we needed the feature-set, what can I say). There is only one issue I experience, and that is a disk-space error on my server. Needless to say, Parallels is actively working on the issue with me. I have corrospondence with their tech support almost every day trying to resolve the problem.