VERY SLOW 3212/3214 VERY slow! NO SUPPORT!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by looter, Jun 25, 2007.

1. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Maybe so - but I have no idea what. I am very conservative about what apps I add, setup changes I make to my machine etc. basically, if I don't plan to use an app, feature, or configuration every day, I don't install it. I can count on less than two hands the changes I made to my VM after install:

MS Office 2003
    Minitab 15 statistical program
    Bonjour for Windows
    Kaspersky Internet Security
    Brother Printer driver install
    Epson Printer and scanner driver install
    Shared external folder (firewire drive)

That's it!

So my machine is as close to "factory settings" as you can get.

2. David5000

David5000 Pro

What I meant was that I am not sure you have shown that it was the fixed-size vs. expanding VM that was the problem--it may have had something to do with the reinstall. As I mentioned, I am using an expanding VM and it's very fast.

David

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  3. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Try to do the following:
    1. Reboot your Mac.
    2. Browse to the Applications folder. Open Utilities and launch Disk Utility.
    3. Select Macintosh HD in the left tab and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.
    4. Re-install Parallels
    How do you turn off your VM? Do you use Windows Shut down menu, or suspend VM?
    The performance of the VM can decrease, if you had suspended VM in the previous version and resumed it in the new one. In this case please open in Finder the content of the VM and remove .mem and .sav files. Please compare the performance after restarting VM using Windows Shut down menu and after resuming the suspended VM.
    Compare memory value in the Parallels Desktop Preferences->Memory tab and in the VM Configuration->Memory tab. Adjust memory limit so it is more than the VM Main memory.

4. looter

looter Member

I have 2GB on the MacBook Pro. Parallels Configuration shows "Memory 1500 MB".

Again, through build 3170, I had NO performance issues. The problem first showed up in 3212. There were no other hardware or Parallels Desktop configuration changes.

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

Just to be clear: By VM Main memory, do you mean the one in the Configuration Editor, i.e., Parallels Desktop>Edit>Virtual Machine?

David

6. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Yes. Edit menu-->Virtual Machine-->Memory tab