Upgraded both host and guest OS to 10.9.2 yesterday, now crashes app at boot

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by KevinD2, Feb 26, 2014.

1. KevinD2

KevinD2 Bit poster

I have been running Parallels 9 latest version on a Retina MBPro 15", with OS X 10.9.1 as the host and guest OS. Yesterday I installed the 10.9.2 update from Apple on both the host and guest OS, and while it worked for a few hours, now I get a crash of the entire Parallels app at guest OS boot, that sends a crash report to Parallels.

As an experiment, I created a new VM with OS X 10.9.2 clean install. It worked, and I was able to run for a few hours, then again the app crashed and now on relaunch it once again crashes almost immediately upon boot (the gray startup screen with Apple logo is showing).

I'm kind of desperate -- I was relying on the VM for business critical work and I'm dead in the water. Any ideas?

2. BruceTr

BruceTr Bit poster

I had the same problem.. try reducing your video memory to 128MB.

3. KevinD2

KevinD2 Bit poster

That did the trick! Thanks for the tip! Hopefully someone opens a bug ticket for this...

4. BruceTr

BruceTr Bit poster

I just setup the VM yesterday.. applied the 10.9.2 update and then it died. I created a new one, it worked fine and then I upped the video memory to 256.. and bam.. back to 128 and it worked again Unfortunately the video performance is horrible compared to my linux and windows VMs. This is the first time I've set up an OSX vm – would have thought performance would be much better.

5. KevinD2

KevinD2 Bit poster

Performance has been pretty good with 512Mb Video memory. I'm not doing anything graphics intensive like gaming, though, mostly I did it because I have multiple external monitors. This wasn't a problem under 10.9.1, so hopefully a fix is forthcoming.

6. BruceTr

BruceTr Bit poster

Just tried Chrome.. performs much better with flash content that safari or Firefox.

7. newMacPro

newMacPro Bit poster

A response from Parallels to a similar posting:

3D acceleration is not supported in OS X Virtual Machine, therefore assigning more than 64 MB of video memory would result in overload, and may cause Virtual Machines to crash on some Macs.

More info available @http://kb.parallels.com/120390

Very lame.

8. 99987b64

99987b64 Bit poster

Well that fix is BS, because I can roll back 10.9.2 to 10.9.1 via a snapshot and it all work again.

They need to fix it, because I cannot make the app window maximize without distortion, again that works on 10.9.1.

Latest update and new Parallels Tools were of no help.

I always gave a whole 1024MB to it without issue before.

9. BrianNydish

BrianNydish Member

It worked for me too. THANK YOU Bruce.