prl_vm_app @ 99.9% CPU on Mac OS X 10.7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Greenwood Digital, Aug 2, 2011.

1. TomS00

TomS00 Bit poster

This thread has been a treasure trove. iMac Version 10.9, 2.66, i5, 8GB, Parallels 9. I keep Windows (XP Pro) only because our CPA’s tax collection program has not yet ported over from the Darkside. Windows began running at glacial speed, prl_vm_app taking over 100% of the CPU in Activity Monitor. Using the suggestions above, I went to Control Panel, Performance & Maintenance, Scheduled Tasks and deleted every scheduled task starting with Adobe Updater and ending with AVG anti-virus updater. Rebooted Windows and started Activity Monitor and saw an immediate reduction for 100%+ CPU usage to 5% CPU usage. Started some windows tasks such as native Windows Defrag from Control Panel and saw prl_vm_app go from 5% to 50%, then jump around with a high around 70% and back down to 5% when the defrag finished.
    Started a third party Defrag and saw Activity Monitor prl_vm_app jump to 110% then drop immediately to 100% and then down into the 50% range. When defrag finished in about a minute, prl_vm_app is now sitting at 4%. Can no longer fry bacon on my CPU diode.

So, the problem is inside Windows. No surprise there. Now long retired from IT, will be most happy to see the last of Windows on this iMac.

Thanks for the helpful hints above.

Tom

2. MariuszM

MariuszM Bit poster

Found solution high CPU usage: AVG + Microsfot Visual Basic (every application using)

Hello,
    I think I found the problem: I looked at my Windows Activity Monitor (Task Manager) and saw that when I start the program that uses high CPU resources of MAC Activity Monitor that it happens only when I start SDL Studio 2011 (based on Microsoft Office and Visual Basic, Framework etc..) my AVG UI goes crazy... So I stopped AVG monitoring, killed this process and uninstalled this antivirus.... My CPU usage of VM is about 6% now... My Macbook Pro Can not even reach 55 C degrees...

3. LEF_CH

LEF_CH Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same issue on my MacBook Air with Mavericks.
    I stopped the Windows Defender runtime protection and the Windows Search service, and the fan is not anymore going crazy. Anyway I didn't test the VM under real workload.

It's annoying that this problem is here since long time ago and not yet fixed.

It's a pity to say that I could switch back to other virtualization solutions, because I was really satisfied when I switched to Parallels.

4. MariuszM

MariuszM Bit poster

I also discovered many winwdos functions "devoring" CPU . I installed Prio addendum to Task Manager to lower the priority of some tasks.... It does not always work...

5. LEF_CH

LEF_CH Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same issue on my iMac...it's becoming more and more annoying, and no one from Parallels says anything about it...

6. SolomonB

SolomonB Bit poster