New Win 8.1 update with Paralells update: All in Apps in desktop window w coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kleeberg, Apr 13, 2014.

1. kleeberg

kleeberg Junior Member

Yesterday I updated Parallels to the latest build, 9.0.24229, and updated windows 8.1 to the latest release at the same time. Windows asked for a reboot so I believe (though am not sure) if the updated parallels code was loaded into windows. In any event, when I start windows now, it opens to the classic windows desktop. If I hit the COMMAND key, I bet the windows Apps window, but then when I open an app, it opens it into the desktop window. So under coherence I can no longer have the windows app windows integrated with Mac app windows. Instead, all the windows apps appear in the windows desktop. I used to be able to control-tab among all apps - Mac and Windows. Now I can only command-tab among Mac apps (of which parallels is one) and then Option-Tab across Windows apps when in parallels.

Is there a solution for this? Do I need to somehow force-load the parallels add-ons for windows? Suggestions welcomed.

Paul

2. kleeberg

kleeberg Junior Member

All is well. It was a challenge for me to figure it out, but it appears the Parallels Tools were not installed. Found a way how to install them (downloaded an install image and had it open when I selected "Install tools" from the menu) and afterwords, the application worked as expected.

Lesson: do not update Parallels and Windows at the same time and expect one reboot to work for both. Install one at a time when the install requires a reboot!

Paul