Resolution problems in Win7, Parallels Build 9.0.24217 Revision 979618

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AnatolyM, Apr 15, 2014.

1. AnatolyM

AnatolyM Bit poster

Almost all applications have problems with elements positioning (VS 2013, SQL Management Studio) in "Best for retina" mode:

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 15.12.40.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 15.12.58.png

Nothing happened with tools reinstallation.
    "Scaled" mode - all windows are highly blurred (in "Retina" mode only some of them (even their parts) are blurred).
    "More space" - everything is too small to work with

2. rwhite35

rwhite35 Bit poster

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

What you're seeing is a typical Windows application fault to support DPI scaling: text and controls get scaled but their positions are not. The solution is to set Windows back to half the resolution (i.e. "Scaled" mode). There isn't much else Parallels can do, unfortunately.
    There's a small chance some apps will look better with "More space" at 150% DPI, but you'll need to see for yourself. See here for the description of DPI settings in Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff629368.aspx

4. Phil Harding

Phil Harding Bit poster

As serv says this is a problem with Windows software not correctly supporting High DPI scaling, as Retina or High DPI resolution displays are something fairly new to the Windows world. I've been using High DPI MBP's with Parallels since they first arrived and I've noticed that the High DPI support in (Microsofts) Windows software improving over time, aside from bugging Microsoft to keep up the effort there's not much that can be done. The only alternative really is to turn off DPI support in Parallels and suffer the awful resulting blocky'ness.

5. AnatolyM

AnatolyM Bit poster

Thanks for your answer.
    "More space" at 150% DPI can't solve problem: controls shifts are only a bit less, than in "Retina" mode (which seems to be "More space" mode with 200% DPI). I've heard, Win8.1 is better in supporting DPI scaling, could it solve the problem?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  6. AnatolyM

AnatolyM Bit poster

Updated Parallels up to 9.0.24229

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Windows 8.1 is not going to make a difference, its advantages are only available to new applications.

8. Phil Harding

Phil Harding Bit poster

Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 are certainly better, but ultimatley its the Windows applications themselves which have to support High DPI scaling, as serv pointed out its usually the positional aspect which fails especially when using Windows Dialog framework API - SQL Server Management Studio is a pretty bad culprit.