Windows XP Installation hangs on "Installing Devices"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tada, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Tada

Tada Bit poster

While installing Windows XP, at the Installing Devices step, the setup eternally stays at 30-something minutes remaining. It's not frozen though (the text on the right hand side changes periodically). I am using Parallels 3.0, on a new (Less than 2 weeks old) MacBook.

I have already tried the following, to no avail:
    - Tried using both a .dmg and a .iso instead of the actual disc. When I do this, though, it doesn't find the disc. A dialog pops up and tells me to insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM.
    - Tried copying the files to another CD. When I do this, the same problem as above occurs. It doesn't find the disc.
    - Tried running it in fullscreen mode.

Is there something I'm missing?

2. normanlorrain

normanlorrain Bit poster

I have the same problem, with both parallels Workstation and Desktop.

3. bigbellyfoo

bigbellyfoo Bit poster

Just a thought, when configuring the hard drive, are you using the option where the hd file grows as you put more data on it, or the option where the hd file is static? Try the static option? I had this work once with the same problem. It could be a coincidence. I also when through 5 or 6 different CDs of XP Pro until I got one to work.

4. Tada

Tada Bit poster

Okay, I tried the static hard drive option... still gets stuck on the same step, and it still isn't reading my disc images if I use them...

I don't have access to any other Windows XP discs, either. :(

5. Tada

Tada Bit poster

I see why the installation looks for a disc now. It says I need a FILE named "asms", but it comes as a folder...

Is my WinXP install disc too old or something like that?

6. kat

kat Product Expert

Are you using an XP CD form Microsoft or one that came with another computer (with the computer manufactures name on it)?

7. seangoldstein

seangoldstein Bit poster

Installing devices...forever

While installing Windows XP Pro, at the Installing Devices step, the setup continues to stay at 26-something minutes remaining. It's not frozen though (the text on the right hand side changes periodically). I am using Parallels 3.0, on a new MacBook Pro .
    10.4.10 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM and 250GB HD.

I have also tried the following, with no positive outcome:

- Tried using both a .dmg and a .iso instead of the actual disc. When I do this, though, it doesn't find the disc. A dialog pops up and tells me to insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM.

- Tried copying the files to another CD. When I do this, the same problem as above occurs. It doesn't find the disc.

- Tried running it in fullscreen mode.

Anyone with any advice, please let me know?

TADA, I'm sorry for using most of your post, but you explained our problem perfectly.

P.S. I'm using an XP Pro that came with a Dell computer we have.

Bigbellyfoo:

"Just a thought, when configuring the hard drive, are you using the option where the hd file grows as you put more data on it, or the option where the hd file is static? Try the static option? I had this work once with the same problem. It could be a coincidence. I also when through 5 or 6 different CDs of XP Pro until I got one to work."

I can't seem to see where this is in the installation process. Can you tell me what step of the process asks for this info?

Thanks everyone

Sean

8. kat

kat Product Expert

I believe that Dell adds a file to the XP os, this may be the issue.

kat

9. seangoldstein

seangoldstein Bit poster

Thanks for the info Kat, I'll try to see if I can track down another copy and use my authentication code.

Sean

10. karma-lab

karma-lab Junior Member

I had the exact same problem. Trying the .iso or .dmg install options mentioned elsewhere did not work for me.

What DID work was this solution:

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/31/280/

Even though the title of that refers to XP with SP0, it's also a problem with SP1.

When it gets to the spot where it's hanging, press the VM Stop button, answer yes. Then after the window spins around, click on Configuration (or choose it from the menu) and choose the Advanced tab, set the Acceleration Level to Disabled. Then restart the VM, it will restart the installation and...it worked perfectly for me!

Once windows has finished launching, you can Exit windows (shut down), go back into configuration, and set the Acceleration back to High.

Note: I have a Dell XP SP1 install disk, that was not the problem.

11. jong

jong Bit poster

This did it for me. Thanks. XP Pro OEM, non branded.

12. cregy

cregy Junior Member

Still Frozen

Hi

I am installing xp pro from an upgrade disk. It is still hanging at the installing devices stage and the suggested fix hasn't worked - any ideas please?

Thanks

Rich

13. Ironham

Ironham Bit poster