Windows BSOD (blue screen) 100% repeatable on resume

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nathansvt, Jun 28, 2007.

1. nathansvt

nathansvt Bit poster

I'm running 3.0 and have been a paid customer since the first release. But I've been living with a nightmare that I was hoping 3.0 would cure.

Basically, the VM crashes with a blue screen every time you attempt to resume from suspend. This is 100% repeatable. The details of my problem are very similar to the one mentioned in this thread:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=9330&page=1&pp=20

However, I'm not running vista, just plain old XP and I'm on a macbook pro.

2. nathansvt

nathansvt Bit poster

surely I'm not the only one seeing this... anyone know of a fix or workaround?

3. bigbellyfoo

bigbellyfoo Bit poster

Running 3.0 on a new coe 2 duo mac book pro, too, with xp pro. had issue with mac book screen going totally black/dead coming out of sleep mode. i could hear the hd spinning, or cd spinning if there was one in drive. pressing keys or mouse pad did nothing. Had to completely power down mac book.

issue was repeatable. ended up reinstalling parallels and xp pro a handful of times (xp had nothing more than windows updates on it when all this was occurring) using several different xp pro CD's (which i was lucky to have at my disposal).

What info are the BSOD's giving you? stop errors? 0x.........? is the resume a resume for the guest OS or Mac Book?

belly

4. jbenjaminaz

jbenjaminaz Bit poster

Same boat here

Been running Parallels since the beginning and every public release after build 1970 has been just horrible. I stuck with build 1970 for the longest time, until yesterday actually, and spent a good day each time a new public update came out hoping that problems were gone. They weren't. I have lost VM images, crashed my OSX kernel a few times, spent days reinstalling, and going back every time to build 1970 which doesn't crash ever!

I'm running a MacBook Pro Core Duo, 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 100GB drive. I installed Parallels 3.0 build 4128 yesterday. I have had at least 2 crashes both days, one being a kernel panic. I will go back to my backups, too bad the hard drive images changed forward-only as I am losing two days work, but at least I'm not spending the next two days reinstalling Windows.

I run a software shop myself, and this is a miserable product if it keeps releasing major updates with what appear to be the same bugs. Bugs that don't exist in build 1970 mind you.

Please, please, please, roll the codebase back to 1970 if you can't fix these problems! As soon as VMware comes out with a Mac client I am gone! Oh hey, what's this?

http://www.vmware.com/mac

And a free download at that, why, joy!
    http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/

5. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Here running WinXP, PD 3.0, OS 10.4.10 on an original MacBook: No problems

I believe the BSOD *must* relate to your WinXP installation, not Parallels. So troubleshoot it as you would any other WinXP machine using msconfig and other such tools.

Phil

6. Erich

Erich Member

I'm not so sure about this. I'm running a similar config (Rev. A Macbook, OS 10.4.10, PD 3.0, Windows XP), and have likewise had a generally trouble-free experience. On the other hand, I just encountered a nasty crash similar to the one the OP reported. Parallels crashed hard when I attempted to resume a suspended VM, and this crash kept happening each time I attempted to restart it. I unplugged my external USB2 hard drive and the VM started without any trouble. In my case, at least, it looks like the problem has to do with Parallels's USB support. This is a Parallels problem, not a Windows problem, and I hope it's addressed in future builds. My crashes generated logs which were automatically sent to Parallels.

7. linttrap

linttrap Bit poster

Brand new duo core 2 mac book pro, 2gb ram, brand new copy of parallels and brand new copy of xp pro. bsod when installing xp. wtf? cannot install windows on this system. can anyone help?

8. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Have you done a thorough memory test? Sometimes even brand new machine can have bad memory.

9. chitgoks

chitgoks Bit poster

i never had problems running xp on parallels and my macbook is core2duo and 2gig ram.

but when i shifted to vista.. oh brother ... vista bluescreens.. not that i care much about this.. but i want to finish making my windows gadget first before i switch back to xp