Sluggish performance and long pauses (revisited)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dsa157, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dsa157

dsa157 Bit poster

Hi all -

I am experiencing the same problem as the original poster describes in this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=12972

(Incidentally, why can I not post to the old thread?)

I had originally emailed Parallels support on June 6 about this problem. After finding and reading the thread, I have seen that if I stop running PTools, the delay goes away immediately. Starting up PTools again and it is back.

I can live with this as a workaround for a while, but I would like a more permanent and reasonable solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. kblume

kblume Junior Member

Ditto!

Extremely sluggish, Windows XP takes forever to load, beach ball spinning & spinning, freezes up MacOS X 10.4.10. Plus the processor must be working overtime, as the fan comes on in my MacBook laptop.

Cheers,

Klaus

3. fuzziqersoftware

fuzziqersoftware Bit poster

I had that problem as well; it turned out that shared folders were causing the delays. Try disabling shared folders in the VM's preferences, and also make sure "mount Windows drives on the Mac desktop" is disabled.

4. dsa157

dsa157 Bit poster

nope, disabling shared drives did nothing for my problem. As I said, if I quit of out Parallel Tools in Windows, the delay goes away immediately. I'm going to try to narrow down which particular setting that is enabled in Parallel Tools might be causing the problem.

5. LazyKnight

LazyKnight Bit poster

I've been experiencing loooong delays when resuming suspended VM's. However, sbnodle's advice in the original thread seemed to work for me -- I've disable sharing the Windows drive and resuming my VM now takes arond 1 minute rather than over 5...

Sorry I don't have any advice to help you, dsa157, but I wanted to respond to sbnoble -- so often you can find random bits of advice on forums but no idea if they work for more than one person.