Preparing Virtual PC "machines" for Transporter?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by jsedmo, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jsedmo

jsedmo Bit poster

I just purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0. I have a couple of Virtual PC "virtual machines" (W2K Pro, W XP Home) from my old PPC Mac that I want to convert into Parallels "machines".

I moved the VPC documents over, and ran Transporter to convert them, but they won't start up (they keep crashing and restarting, over and over). Do I need to do something to the VPC documents (on the PPC Mac) prior to moving them over to the Intel Mac and running Transporter on them?

The VPC "machines" are shut down, and are in the "expanding disk image" format (i.e., they think they're 15 GB in size, but only consume a few GB on the Mac). They're VPC 6 documents.

Are there detailed instructions for preparing the VPC documents before running Transporter?

The information in the Transporter Users Guide is too superficial. I couldn't find any better instructions on the web site.

Thanks for your help.

2. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

Parallels Transporter doesnt support VP6 images in current version. This feature will be avaliable in next version(very soon) of Parallels Transporter.

3. jsedmo

jsedmo Bit poster

Mike,

Thanks. It would have been nice if the documentation said that to start with.

4. jsedmo

jsedmo Bit poster

Mike,

When you say that VPC 6 support will be in the "next version (very soon)", can you be more specific? E.g., v3.0.1? Around what date?

Thanks.

5. michael@wanger.at

michael@wanger.at Bit poster

VPC 7.02 does also not work, I get an error after about 33% (if I save it to VPC). If I save the virtual disk image to my Mac (disk G:/) it dooes not start at all (the during disk migrating an error occured)

6. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Please provide us with Transporter log files on vireports@parallels.com with subject 'Transporter Problems' to investigate this problem more detail?

Log files of Parallels Transporter and Parallels Transporter Agent locate on:

Mac: <home>/Library/Logs/Parallels/transporter_cl.log

7. dowacr

dowacr Bit poster

Mike,

I also just bought Parallels to convert some VPC 6 images and (after encountering repeated failures) checked this support forum. I'm excited to hear that the next version will do what I actually need. There are two things very important for me to learn now:

* Will this "next" version that has this support be a free or paid upgrade? If it's paid, I will be out far more money than I intended to be and would appreciate instructions on getting a refund now.

* When will this be out? Should I just try to return your software and wait until someone (you or "the other guys") does what I need?

Thanks!

8. p.mck@comcast.net

p.mck@comcast.net Bit poster

My experience is that Transporter for version 3 does not work for transporting a Microsft Virtual PC 7 disk from my Power PC to MacBook Pro. It is advertised and made specific at http://www.parallels.com/files/upload/video4_960x600.mov that Transporter will do this. But it DOES NOT HAPPEN!! It is crucial that this promise you made be fulfilled.