Windows 7 Screen Resolution on Macbook Pro with Mavericks

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Wamck, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Wamck

Wamck Bit poster

I am running a Macbook Pro with 16gb memory and a 1tb disk.
    I also running Parallels 9 Build 9.0.24229.
    In my Windows XP VM I have a screen resolution of 1280x800 and everything looks great.
    In my Windows 7 Ultimate, it says I have a screen resolution of 1280x800 but it also says
    that it is using a "Generic NON-PNP Monitor" which isn't the same as what Windows XP says.
    I have tried to everything I can think of to get the display to look like the XP version. i.e, a
    desktop where the icons and programs fit. The icons a larger than on my Windows XP VM and
    when I start a program it takes up alot more of the display than what it does on Windows XP.

Any suggestions anyone?

William

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Ignore the monitor type.

Right click Desktop -> select Screen Resolution -> click "Make text and other items larger or smaller" -> click "Smaller - 100%"

3. Wamck

Wamck Bit poster

It is already at that. It just seems that I can get more on the screen under Windows XP than under Windows 7.
    I would have thought that I would be using a Parallels monitor with Parallels tools installed and not the
    "Generic NON-PNP Monitor"

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Can you post a screenshot to show the differences between Windows XP and Windows 7? Also, post a screenshot of the virtual machine configuration for Video.

Compare the Window Color and Appearance size settings between Windows XP and Windows 7.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29244/customize-the-title-bar-and-other-system-fonts-in-windows-7/

All the devices of a virtual machine are emulated. A virtual machine can emulate any device even if the host computer doesn't have that device. A virtual machine may emulate a real device (something that existed on a real PC) or the virtual machine may choose to create a device specific to a virtual machine.

For video, Parallels emulates a virtual machine specific device called "Parallels Display Adapter" using PCI vendor id 1AB8, device id 4005.

Parallels attaches an emulated "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" to the virtual display adapter. The EDID of the virtual display contains information identifying it as a Parallels display with product name "Parallels Vu". I don't know if there's a mechanism in Windows to display that information or to translate that identifying information into a proper display name like Mac OS X does.

Mac OS X uses the files in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/ to override or add certain information to a display given the display's vendor and product ID's. 610 is the vendor ID for Apple displays.

5. marat_t

marat_t Pro