vista size

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jonzg, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jonzg

jonzg Junior Member

Hello, I just installed vista ultimate upgrade over vista rc2. The final size of the installation is almost 9 GB. There's a huge folder, /windows/winsxs/, that is over 4 Gb. I see that this folder has more than 3 Gb of subfolders with a dates of 11/2006, with I guess were copied over from my old vista rc2. Could I just erase the old folders and leave the ones with 2007 dates so I can get a smaller virtual machine??

thanks

Jonathan

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

I believe all versions of Windows install some files (CABs and such) which relate to installing or later repairing. Might be best to look at the Microsoft Knowledge Base for such info to make sure you get authoritative info on what can and what cannot be safely deleted.

Phil

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I have a clean install of Vista that has a winsxs folder that is about 3 GB (and has 11/06 modification dates). So no, it is not safe to delete it.

4. jonzg

jonzg Junior Member

Ok, I have been looking around the web and everybody recomends that I shount'd delete the winsxs folder. My vista install is 10GB and I only have office 2003, skype, ms messenger and quicken 2005. Is 10 GB normal?? Any way to reduce the size??

thanks

Jonathan

5. daveidixon

daveidixon Bit poster

I've had the same problem and searched around for a solution.. It seems like you just have to live with it :( There are some things you can delete if you are very careful, but I still end up with over 10 gigs of files