Windows Explorer Default Folder with Dock Icon

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Nicolas Fletcher, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to create an icon on the Dock for Windows Explorer (I'm using 8.1, but I believe this to be the same issue with 7 as well) that will open in a specific
    folder?

This is easily done within windows, and I can have this shortcut on my Windows Task Bar.

But it seems that Parallels Desktop's Windows icons are only links to the actual application, and not to a Windows shortcut (where one can set the folder for Windows Explorer).

I've tried looking at the PList file for in "Parallels Applications" but to no avail!

With thanks in advance,

Nic.

2. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Nic,

>But it seems that Parallels Desktop's Windows icons are only links to the actual application, and not to a Windows shortcut (where one can set the folder for Windows Explorer).
    Yep, you are right. The links are located in /Users/username/Applications (Parallels)
    --
    After you open any Windows apps, their icons appear in the Dock. Just right-click the icon > and chose 'keep in Dock'. But this will work if Parallels Tools are installed (http://kb.parallels.com/en/115835 ).

3. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

Marat,

Thank you for your reply. I fully understand (and believe I already did) your reply.

But what I would like is to have an icon on my Dock that will open Windows Explorer in a specific folder (with windows 8.1 Update 1 I now get "This PC" as the default).

There must be some way, because when I double-click on a file that is associated with a Parallels/Windows app, you are able to pass that file name to the app. I did look at the Plist file in the Windows Explorer folder, but I can't seem to find a way. I am sure I once - a year or so ago - did find a way, but now it escapes me. I have tried placing a windows shortcut (lnk) to a folder on my windows virtual drive onto the desktop. And even it shows up on the desktop it doesn't open!

(The reason I need this, is because I am forced to use the "Offline Files" feature in Windows. Unfortunately they put these folders & files in a system folder database that is not accessible to either Windows nor the Windows drive in Parallels). Otherwise, I would LOVE to use Finder instead!

Thanks again in advance!

Last edited: May 2, 2014