Windows Explorer problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ericclapton, Oct 28, 2013.

1. ericclapton

ericclapton Bit poster

Win7ExplorerCapture.jpg

In the upper part of Windows Explorer the 'Search' bar is so wide that masks the other 'File location' bar, which arrears on the left side.
    Resizing of both bars is normal under Win7 by using left-right arrows. However, this resizing option does not function in my case.
    Changing View Options has no result either.
    I'm using Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 9.0.23136 in a MacBookPro OS 10.8.5.

Pls advise

ericclapton

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Can't you just drag the little vertical bar between the file path and the Search field? This isn't a Parallels issue.

Steve

3. elliottrichard

elliottrichard Bit poster

Hello ericclapton,

Did you find a solution to this issue?
    I have the same problem running windows 7 with Parallels 9 on a MacBook with retina display.
    The problem is there when the resolution is set to 'best for retina' and not there when the resolution is set to 'scaled' which would suggest it does seem very likely that it is a parallels issue.

The arrow to move the vertical bar appears but does not allow you to grab the bar and move it.

Richard

4. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

There is a solution, but it is not pretty.

If you change the Windows display size, that fixes the windows explorer issues (Control Panel > Make It Easier to Read What's On Your Screen > Display > Set custom DPI = 150%). Unfortunately, The size of fonts and icons may be too small to comfortably read.

According to this post (http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...een-Resolution-in-Parallels-8-Windows-7/page2), there some kind of error when Windows uses the magnifier tool to 199%. I'm testing smaller 'custom' settings now and will report back.

Lawrence

5. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

You can fix that problem by changing the Windows magnifier in Control Panel > Personalization > Make fonts bigger/smaller. Parallels sets the default to 199%. But if you select a smaller, the Windows Explorer search box shrinks. Unfortunately, the fonts and icons also shrink.

This forum (http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...een-Resolution-in-Parallels-8-Windows-7/page2) points to a more complete solution where you can change the magnifier to something just under 199%. But, that didn't work for me. Once you change the magnifyer setting, Windows has to reboot and when it does the customer setting is reset to 199%.

Wonder why Parallels hasn't fixed this, or if Windows wont let them. A ridiculous bug that affects basic useability.

Lawrence

Last edited: May 5, 2014